2000 4L60E suitability for a 1989 Astro.

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Peter, by "complicating" do you mean changing to a 4L60E or by installing the TPS on the pedal? Afterall, you're my hero for installing a 4L80E in your Safari!
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I mean both. Seems you and I can't leave well enuf alone, it would seem. Anyone else'd simply throw another 700R4 in there and be done with it. But not you, Robby *wink*
Anyone else'd simply mount the TPS on the carb linkage using the aftermarket attachment, nut....LOLOL
That's ok, it's what keeps us young, right?
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

...and here's another transmission controller; this time from GM performance Parts:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/part_images/12497316.jpg
It's a part number 12497315 and sells for $934.75 from GM Parts Direct.

You are so right, Peter. I don't know about it all keeping us young, but I find that I like to modify parts and built hybrid stuff that:
1. takes a lot of time
2. takes big bucks
3. demands a lot of tinkering
4. rarely ever works as I planned
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Whoa, what a minute on that GM controller. A bit more of web searching informed me that the GM controller is the very same unit from TCI. I wonder who made it originally? I figure it has to be TCI and GM just sticks its name on it.
Here's a photo of the TCI controller:
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/377000.gif

There's a product description at http://www.tciauto.com under the electronics header and the price from TCI is $901.28.

You know, Peter, maybe getting all the stuff to rebuild the 700R4 I presently have isn't such a bad idea after all...
Rob Shaver

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Yeah, as a whole I tend to agree if you can't find a JY trans. Be sure to at least check your TV cable if you get another 700R4 mine was stretched as was the JY one. This is one of the keys to doing it. Get the ATSG book and read through it as well, it's $15 well spent.

If it wasn't for using the wrong TV cable I would have had under $450 into the whole thing including a $70 cooler, $125 converter $115 master rebuild kit and all the small stuff. I burned my 3-4 pack up again due to having the wrong TV cable (I had a TPI TV cable and used it with a TBI setup, not the same by a long shot) but that's the story of my life.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Robo, what were the symptoms when you used the TPI cable?
Rob Shaver

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

saggy part throttle was the biggest thing, poor shifting etc. etc. If you're having trans problems it's one of the easier things to check. I think my cable stretched and killed my 700R4 initially to be honest.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Jeez, the things I do just trying to keep up with Lockdoc...
Last week I ordered the ATSG manual for the 1987-1993 700R4 transmission and the 700R4 DVD from PATC; both came in yesterday.
I skimmed through the manual while I watched the DVD and found that I had a strange desire to tear into a 700R4...like I wanted to rebuild it or something.
Bill, this is all your fault.
Rob Shaver

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

We should shoot him and get it over with \:D/ \:D/
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

SafariRob wrote:Jeez, the things I do just trying to keep up with Lockdoc...
Last week I ordered the ATSG manual for the 1987-1993 700R4 transmission and the 700R4 DVD from PATC; both came in yesterday.
I skimmed through the manual while I watched the DVD and found that I had a strange desire to tear into a 700R4...like I wanted to rebuild it or something.
Bill, this is all your fault.
Hey, go for it and check the how-tos I put a ton of my pics up.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Hey! It ain't my fault. Somebody had to corrupt me first!

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Lockdoc, this is absolutely your fault...

Yes, I'm acquiring the tools needed to dig into a 700R4.

PS: These weren't cheap, Bill!

More to come.
Rob Shaver

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

No, they definately weren't cheap. $40 some dollars if I remember correctly.

Here is a glimpse at the latest:

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Bill, is that the transmission from Skippy's van? If so, what did you find wrong with it?
Actually, I guess it doesn't matter whose transmission it was, have you noticed any weak links in the 700R4 transmissions that you've torn down?
Looks like it's a good thing I didn't take you up on your offer to loan me those snap ring pliers!
Oh, and the price I paid for them was $42.75 after OH sales tax. Sure made the Snap-On guy smile when I bought them.
Rob Shaver

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

This is the one we got from the JY that was in a 90 PU. This has been the nicest tranny I have pulled apart so far. Only thing I found bad was all the seals in the trans are hardened or bad. As for common problems I haven't done many to know. Personally, each one I dissasembled had different problems.