No accesories off of battery

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

No accesories off of battery

Post by trybe13 »

I had my door poppers plugged into the fuse panel where the fuse for the fog lamps would reside if I still used the factory lamps. For some reason I have lost power from there over the years. So I tried plugging them into the battery accessory fuse where all the accessories such as stereo and interior lights are plugged into. I pushed the key fob to open the driver door and it worked, pushed again to open rear doors and heard a fuse blow. I can't locate it and now I have no power to any of my accessories, let alone getting the doors to open. I've looked in my factory wiring manual and have had no luck. Does anyone know where this fuse is? I know that our resident electrical guru V8famvan knows, just wondering if anyone else is going to beat him to the punch! :D
Thanks for all the help guys!
Late!
James
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Re: No accesories off of battery

Post by Kabey's Van »

On my 91' it's marked horn/dim 30 amp, it's on the left hand side about half way up.
This curcuit must be maxed out, cause I am only able to charge one phone at a time or I blow this fuse.
I have learnd to carry a spare.
Peter

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

If you checked all your fuses in the fuse block and you are sure they are good I would prolly start looking at the fusible links on the firewall behind the battery. You may also find some regular fuses there since you have a conversion van. There where always a couple there on my conversion vans.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

On my 2 x previous GM Safari vans, I installed a few 12V "power hungry" items as well. For these items, I left the factory wiring "as is". For my 12V "power hungry" items, I used a thick 10 guage wire off battery - into appropriate sized breaker (located within 12" of battery), ran thick 12 guage wire into inner cabin dash area (through the firewall via rubber grommet), into a manual off/on switch, then 12 guage wire from switch to the item. For example, extra ACC Plug that I installed in 3rd row seating area - for my kids "power hungry" 12V devices. For their needs, I didn't like open cords flowing across 2nd row seats and across the floor. Thus, installed my own "much better" ACC outlets. And having a manuaal switch in the front driver's area also allowed me to turn the outlet (or electrical device) off. Same wiring concept can be used for other power hungry items as well. Stuff like high power Fog lights or other items - life front winch.

If you keep blowing fuses, one many want to install this parallel wiring with itw own breaker and manual switch as well. Worked great on both of my previous Safari vans.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

I would agree with lockdoc.
If your fuses in the fuse box are not blown & you have no power there I would check the fuseable links behind the battery. There is a power stud on the firewall behind the battery that has 4 orange fuseable links coming off of it. If one of these blew, (2nd from the drivers side?) this would explain your loss of power to the fuse box. If this is the case, you can splice in a new section of fuseable link to repair.
However, before connecting it up again I would suggest locating the short in the door popper system.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian