What to do....

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

What to do....

Post by pengyou »

The tranny on my 96 astro is slipping a little. Sometimes it is a little rough between 2nd and 3rd gear but it is barely noticeable. I took it to XYZ transmission company (a well known, famous company with a name made of an acronym with 5 letters ;) They told me that I only have 500 miles or so left on the tranny...not sure if I believe them but I know it is slipping a little. I will leave the country in 6 weeks and will be gone for about a year. I want the car to be in decent condition when I get back. I plan on buying an AWD when I return and have a V8 put into it so I will need it to be mobile during this time, then will sell my 2wd as soon as the new baby is ready. I also need to drive another 5,000 miles before I leave.

I have a mechanic friend who will do an R&R for $ 150 (I don't have much $$ now). Here are my options for what will be replaced:

a. I can ask the mechanic if he can replace the clutches and any other things that are simple to fix - maybe seals, filter, gaskets, etc.
b. I can buy a used transmission with a 3 month warranty for about $450.
c. I can buy a "cheapie" rebuild for about $650. This is the max for my budget.

What is your advice?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Re: What to do....

Post by thevalleyboy »

Why put any money into it? If you plan on dumping it? Just get out while you can and save for an AWD van. Saves you storage fees when away also... Just a thought
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

That is a good thought. The only problem is that I need some kind of transportation for the next 6-8 weeks. I can lease a car for that long but it will cost as much as a rebuilt transmission + install. If I do fix it to some degree I guess I can sell it before I leave and recoup some of the $$ so I won't have to store it.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

For short term...

- Replace with clean ATF.
- Replace its Transmission Oil filter.
- Dump in some Lucas Transmission Fix.
re: http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/slippin ... ission.htm
* Keep your fingers crossed and give it a try.

If wondering, some folks use Lucas Transmission Fix and it "sometimes" buys then 3-6 months. Especially if mostly hiway driving. Might be worth trying as short term solution..

Hope this helps...

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

If my above suggested new ATF fluid/Filter and Lucus FIX additive doesn't work, then perhaps a kit can be installed. For a low cost "kit" that appears to remove slippage surf:

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Buick- ... 3-02-4L60E

Hope this helps as well...

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! I changed the fluid and the filter. Now the slipping ALMOST seems to have disappeared - it is still very slightly noticeable sometime when starting or stopping. I looked into the Lucas stuff. They make 2 kinds of tranny stuff, the one you linked to, which is as thick as molasses, and another one that is thin as water. The description on that one is to "extend the life of old transmissions". Maybe I can use both?

I am thinking of putting a tranny cooler on it to help it out a bit. Just hope I can get my 1-2 months out of it before I have to park it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Moral of the story....never go to the "cheapie-lube" place to have work done.

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I'd forgo the tranny cooler at this point. I would recommend TransX additive. I've had success with it, at least for the short term. It's not thick and it doesn't swell the seals either.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! Now for the $64,000 question...the engine is in great shape. The transmission now runs as it did before I went to that @%$#& lube place :butthead: . I want to make a trip to Sacramento - about 600 miles one way and a couple of other trips that are about 300 miles round trip. What should I think about before I make these? Do transmissions just all of a sudden die? or will it start to sip...then slip a little more...then slip a little more? Do any of the computer codes include problems with the tranny? It is really driving very well now.

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

A tranny can do both.
I have had trannys slip and slip until the just unable to move the vehicle any more, and I have had trannys work perfectly and then not work at all the next time I fired the thing up.
So if you like to live on the edge a bit by all means take that road trip, but don't leave home without your mastercard.

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

I agree with Kabey's Van.

The 460LE transmission can slightly slip and remain this way for many months. And sometimes, the 460LE can run great and all of a sudden "bang" (like it did in my previous AWD van - that needed a full $1,200 rebuild). In any case, I wouldn't bet the horses on it. re: Terrible odds either way.