bought the fuel pump, do I need anything else?

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

bought the fuel pump, do I need anything else?

Post by LaGrasta »

For the second time in 125,000 miles, I'm changing my fuel pump. It hasn't quit, but it is screaming and I don't want to be left stranded. I'm still reeling over the $700 I paid last time.

So this time I'm going to try and swap it myself. I bought the pump assembly on ebay for $120 so I'm off to a good start (they run near $400 elsewhere). Anything else I should swap while I'm in there? Last time Pep Boys did it, they supposedly swapped two filters, a regulator as well as the pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 239&rd=1,1
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: bought the fuel pump, do I need anything else?

Post by mdmead »

LaGrasta wrote:For the second time in 125,000 miles, I'm changing my fuel pump. It hasn't quit, but it is screaming and I don't want to be left stranded. I'm still reeling over the $700 I paid last time.

So this time I'm going to try and swap it myself. I bought the pump assembly on ebay for $120 so I'm off to a good start (they run near $400 elsewhere). Anything else I should swap while I'm in there? Last time Pep Boys did it, they supposedly swapped two filters, a regulator as well as the pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 239&rd=1,1
I'm assuming the pump has gotten a lot louder recently.

If not, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. I'm always amazed at how loud these pumps can be. (I know a person who has a Suburban and I have to laugh every time I walk past it when it is running as the pump is LOUD. But both of mine have been too.)

Looking at the link, you should be set. That unit is all-inclusive from what I understand. Make sure you get that tank as empty as you can as it is heavy with some gas in it. (Of course mine quite with nearly a full tank!)

Good luck!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

yeah, it's loud. If I start the van and sit for a moment to get going (attach seatbelts, tune the stereo, situate the kids, etc), it's keeps getting louder.

I thought maybe I needed another regulator and in-tank filter since PepBoys changed all that the first time. Maybe the in-tank filter is the one attached to the pump assembly. It's more like a sock-type.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by coolen »

hey i know what u'r saying about a loud pump. mine is loud also but i'm not too concerned about it, ya know why? cuz when i bought my van, i noticed that the gas tank straps were'nt all the way snugged. so just that alone makes me think that my pump has already been changed. if not and i get stranded then i'll have to change it. O:) did you get a new harness with your pump? if not, go and find a new harness (sits inside your tank connected to the pump)

i've heard a lot about people not getting new harnesses and it causes them problems. mine in the astro was so bad that you could smell the burnt plastic when you took it out of the tank.
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!