Safety latches for rear tip out windows

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Safety latches for rear tip out windows

Post by pengyou »

I am making good use of my 'stro for camping now but there is one thing i would like to change. The rear windows tip out from the bottom. That is useful but I don't want them to tip out all the way. When they are fully open it is possible for someone to stick their arm into the van and unlock the door....or do other things. Is there some way to make the windows only open half way? I was thinking of using some u-bolts around the latch with an additional bolt sticking through the middle.

Any ideas? I am hoping to find a reasonably "off the shelf" solution.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Safety latches for rear tip out windows

Post by astrozam »

Is the tipout the same style as whats used on the slider window?

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Yes - the same on the sliding door as on the driver's side middle window.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I would almost just take some 1/2" or even 1/4" web belting and mount one end to the screws that hold the latches on and then put a clip or hook on the other end and just clip it to the hinge like peice on the other side of the latch against the window or to a hole in the latch on that side. Only issue you may have after that is the window not staying open. But a well shaped peice of wood or something to that effect would take care of it I'm sure.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

there is no door handle or lock on the inside of the rear doors so it shouldn't be a problem if someone reached in which is not too likley to happen.

The other thing you can do is put a screen on the inside. the only window you could possibly reach in and unlock the van is would be the slider so just keep that window closed.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

potskie wrote:I would almost just take some 1/2" or even 1/4" web belting and mount one end to the screws that hold the latches on and then put a clip or hook on the other end and just clip it to the hinge like peice on the other side of the latch against the window or to a hole in the latch on that side. Only issue you may have after that is the window not staying open. But a well shaped peice of wood or something to that effect would take care of it I'm sure.
Thanks! Sounds like a good idea, simple but effective.