Putting a roof vent in my 'stro - what should I know?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Putting a roof vent in my 'stro - what should I know?

Post by pengyou »

I am heading out to a couple of wrecking yards tomorrow that have vans with a vent in the roof in the rear. I am assuming that roof vents are roof vents, and that they is not one specifically designed for the stro? I am nervous about cutting a hole in my roof. Can someone tell me any secrets or tricks to doing this so that it will be successful, i.e. not leak? What is the best way to cut the hole without damaging the rest of the roof?

Also, when I get another $25 I am thinking of getting this: http://www.alternativeenergygeneralstor ... l?pn=SW690

I am going to cover the very rear windows of the van with windshield shades painted black mounted on foam board (or styrofoam) which is mounted on a thin piece of paneling. My hope is that between the vent (later with the fan) and the rear windows covered and the middle windows open a bit, I can get the temp in the van down to about the same temp as the outside air without draining my battery.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

gabequest

Re: Putting a roof vent in my 'stro - what should I know?

Post by gabequest »

OK. I think I figured out this photobucket thing...
Here are some pics of my 11 inch fan setup. I also have a 6 in towards the front to vent my coleman stove, though its not nearly as powerful as the 11 inch. I dont remember the name, but you can find these fans at any RV store or CamperWorld of sorts. They run about $150 for a variable speed in/out fan.

**I highly recommend you locate this fan just far enough in front of the inner panel vents that are for heat, A/C. I took the paneling out and didn't even think about it when locating my fan on the nice flat spot in the roof. Turns out that when I put the paneling back in, I had to cut through the "vent" part of it because of the fan's location (which obviously I was committed to!) I now do not get air through that vent, which is bothersome to passengers at times. Oh well, the 11 inch fan is a must have. It will suck air from your van very quickly and will also draw nice cool air in with the quickness!

Both fans, the rear cigarette lighter and electric seat/bed are wired to an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle marine battery in the passenger rear corner. All wires are fused and I jumped up the gauging to reduce resistance. I have a marine battery switch located driver side of glove compartment to allow me to switch batteries back and forth, although the fans are only routed to the rear battery so I dont accidentally drain my main battery.

Measure, trace, measure again. Drill pilot holes then use a jigsaw.
You will encounter inner roof trusses.
The tighter the fit the better.
It came with this tacky strip but you can also use silicon.
Notice my amateur-hour location right in the middle of the heat, A/C vent!!
12 guage wire to prevent resistance. Also added 2x4 inserts to mount the inner vent-frame to. Someone else may have a better idea, but this was functional. Not very pretty though!
View through open back door.
You can see the 6in towards the front as well.
Last edited by gabequest on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Where's the pix?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Hmmm? The pics were here last night, so I'm not sure what happened to them. :-k Wait....I know....I moved them from one file to another on photobucket so the hotlink (or whatever its called) all got changed....damn! ](*,) I fixed it.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

Wow! Nice job!

Thanks
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ