Sloooooow - Is It Just Me?

Questions, comments, criticisms, issues, suggestions, praise etc related to this Forum
(Please do not post van questions)

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

10:54pm Eastern Daylight Saving Time
The speed is fairly peppy right now.

Yea, e7, earlier today (2pm'ish) it was as slow if not slower than your comment. I gave up waiting for the home page.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Friday 10:50am Eastern Daylight Saving Time
The speed is peppy right now.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I am getting great speed, which is surprising because I am quite far away from my wireless router and generally that means slower speeds.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

slow

Post by Rebel »

Very very slow for me at the 96 mile marker but everything is slow here.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

I did get a little slowness around that time. It is back to lightning speed now.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

FAST

Post by Rebel »

Now it's hummin. Like it.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Friday 8:24pm Eastern Daylight Saving Time
Yep, still speedy.

I'm guessing that when AS.com was up and running 100%, there was not a lot of activity here. So the site was sluggish. Now that AS.com is sorta down , the activity is way up here and now it is not as sluggish as it was.

So, now that the juices are flowing here it has limbered up the machine.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

The sluggishness has little to do with activity. Justice told us what the problem is according to the company that the site is hosted with, and that is that they are upgrading their SQL server. That is the database that holds and organizes all the information of the board. My guess is when they are changing things around that is when things slow down because either they have to take some servers off line to upgrade them or because the upgrade takes so much of their server resources that it slows everything else down as well that uses the SQL server. Since that is the stated explaination, my hope is that once they get everything upgraded that the speed will always be fast. As I remember it, this site was fast all the time when if first went up, it was only recently (the last few months if that long) that it would occasionally get slow.

I have noticed in the last day or so that there are less slow times, and when it is slow it is not as long as it was before. That makes me think that things are progressing well, and soon we will be back to full speed \:D/
Jim

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

This site is almost back to its usual speediness,great to see,also,thanks For looking into the problem and keeping the members up to date Justice.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

R~
I liked my non-geek answer better. :whistle:
>
>
>
>
Yes, I actually knew the geekie answer. I was just having a little sport with the timing of AS.com problems.

e7ats

Post by e7ats »

Back to being slow. Takes about 10-60 seconds to load. Started around 11:00AM Eastern. It is almost like it takes a while for the page to send the page request but the actual down load goes right through.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

yea, i saw some slowness around the noon hours, but no time outs. I think thats going to be a high traffic time for net and we may see that kind of slowness from time to time. Right now (3:30 CST) the site is running perfect.

I'll keep monitoring though.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

e7ats

Post by e7ats »

4:42PM eastern, Speed is back up now. Odd that other sites at that time are really snappy but yet this was slow. You where right, no timeouts but I did get a couple of error pages. I Should have copied them. will do next time.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

there are a lot of different things that could effect the apparent speed of the site.

1) Server or database issues - I think the real bad slowdowns we saw a week or two ago could have been related to this since the host had mentioned a problem with the specific server the ASV databases run on.

2) Web traffic, but not the just the ASV servers. When you (or anyone) tries to access the ASV site, their connection will go through several other servers and routers (hops) to reach from their computer to the ASV site. If there is an issue or slowdown at one of the hops, it will effect the speed of the site. For example, there are 21 hops between my computer and the server, any one of those going down or having a problem will effect the speed of the site for me. This could explain why some people were slow and others were not during the same time period.

If you want to see how many hops you are from the server, open a command prompt on your computer (start, run, type cmd and hit enter) then in the command prompt type tracert http://www.astrosafarivans.com and hit enter, you should then see a list of the hops generated.

3) for those of you like myself that have home networks, other systems on your network can also effect the speed, i know that when i have downloads running on my other system that my net access slows down a bunch.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Earlier today it was so slow that I eventually gave up. I noticed when it is slow that the board doesn't remember that I am logged in and I have to log in again. No idea if that gives any indication as to where the problem could be.
Jim