Want to swap over 95 Astro AWD to 90 Safari AWD

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
smokinsiggy
I get chills without my van.

Want to swap over 95 Astro AWD to 90 Safari AWD

Post by smokinsiggy »

Been plagued with a low miler 95 AWD Stro D.O.A.with no SES light from an auction. Have exhausted myself and others troubleshooting electrical nightmares some previous owner created. We have went through every friggin circuit with ignition spark being available, replaced fuel pump, ECM, Fuel relay, instrument dash bulbs, fusible link harness replaced, you name it was done and now at the point to start swapping over to my worn out has been 90 AWD Safari. I have been looking at some info and not feeling great about this 95 model year being a dependable year for the Stro. Sure would be great to swap everything backwards to the 90 including engine, drivetrain, differentials and front clip being its a better looking style, LOL. Sounds like another past time project if its even possible. Any idears welcome and all feedback greatly appreciated.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Want to swap over 95 Astro AWD to 90 Safari AWD

Post by T.Low »

(Looks away, pretending he hasn't read the post) :whistle:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Want to swap over 95 Astro AWD to 90 Safari AWD

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Really, all you need to swap would be the engine, tranny and possibly the t-case due to different adapter bolt patterns and all the associated wiring. No need to swap the diff's unless the 90 has a better gear ratio and/or posi. After that, you can swap front ends if you choose.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy