Walla Walla River Mountain Biking

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Walla Walla River Mountain Biking

Post by mdmead »

I spent my teen years living in Milton-Freewater, a small town in NE Oregon. The Walla Walla River runs right along the edge of town and offers great trout fishing.

About 10 miles out of town, up the river, is a great trail open to dirt bikes, mountain bikes, equestrians and hikers. About 5 miles up the trail are a few cabins and at one time my step-dad's uncle and cousins owned a couple of them. I remember going up there and 'roughing it' as there was no running water or electricity and only outhouses when nature called. The area is truly remote.

The cabins were sold off years ago, but every few years I like to head up there to check things out. Back in high school, I would ride a dirt bike up. In more recent years I've hiked it (since I no longer have a dirt bike!). On this trip I decided to take my mountain bike.

Here are a few pics from my trip.

Technically, this is the 'South Fork of the Walla Walla River'.

it runs through a fairly narrow canyon this far up.

When I was a teen, you could take 4x4s up to the cabins (and beyond). The 4x4 route shared some parts of the hiking/biking trail, but when it got narrow along one side of the river, the 4x4 route crossed the river to the other side. Due to 'environmental concerns' the 4x4 route was shut down many years ago. Now only cabin owners can access this route, and I've heard they have seasonal restrictions as well.

At one time, there were about 13 4x4 river crossings to reach the cabins (and beyond). Most 4x4s back then really weren't capable of crossing this river reliably (especially when the water was high in the spring) and what worked best were WW II era Dodge Power Wagons. My step-dad's relatives had a couple of them they used.

At times, the trail gets pretty high up above the river. This section here makes some of the motorcyclists nervous. One wrong move and it is a quick trip down into the river...

After reaching the cabins, I decided to press on further. I realized in all the years I'd been up there, I'd really never gone much farther up the trail. I'd heard that the trail eventually led up to Target Meadows, which sits at about 5000 ft and is not too far up the road from where our cabin is at Tollgate.

I discovered above the cabins the valley actually widened quite a bit and the trail wandered through this meadow.

And then the trail actually crossed a stream. (Up to this point, all the water crossings for the hiking/biking trail had bridges. They didn't when I was a kid though.)

And then I reached the end of the line... for me... as while it is hard to tell from this pic, but the trail really starts to climb at this point. I decided that seven miles in... for this old and chubby biker... was far enough. Too bad as Target Meadows was less than three miles away according to the last trail sign I'd seen.

So for Tom... and anyone else in the area... I highly recommend checking this trail out. Hiking it is fine. Mountain Biking it is better. But the best way to check the area out is via dirt bike or dual sport. Along with the trail leading up to Target Meadows, I found two other trails that head off in other directions that need to be followed....
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Walla Walla River Mountain Biking

Post by T.Low »

Ha, the whole time I was reading that and looking at the pics I was thinking aobut who and when I could go out there. We are doing a trail clean up in Estacada next weekend, maybe I should bolt over there on the opposite weekend day.hmm Ya want to meet out there on your quad?

Excellent photos, Matt!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Ya.......great pics, Matt. It looks like perfect weather for a hike. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

Very cool pics, Matt. It is nice to hear some of the history of the trail. I try to get out and ride that trail whenever I can. I always have wanted to ride up to burnt cabin but always tire out and head back when the trail gets really rutted and narrow. Anyone who is planning on going should definitely check out http://people.whitman.edu/~pogue/bikeguide/ for maps and directions as well as the ranger station on Rose St. in Walla Walla. I agree that to really explore it fully you need a motorcycle though.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

dean89 wrote:Very cool pics, Matt. It is nice to hear some of the history of the trail. I try to get out and ride that trail whenever I can. I always have wanted to ride up to burnt cabin but always tire out and head back when the trail gets really rutted and narrow. Anyone who is planning on going should definitely check out http://people.whitman.edu/~pogue/bikeguide/ for maps and directions as well as the ranger station on Rose St. in Walla Walla. I agree that to really explore it fully you need a motorcycle though.
I forgot we have a "local" amongst us! :muhaha:

As for "history", I first became familiar with the trail back around '76 or '77 when I moved to M-F. In the early 80s they did some logging up one of the canyons that leads up to Lincton Mtn Road. When the logged, they actually added several bridges at the bottom of the trail, reducing the 4x4 river crossings by four or five. I never drove from the South Fork up to Lincton Mtn Rd., mainly because when they were logging it, it was posted, but it would have been an easy drive. After they were done logging, they removed all but one of the bridges (the one beyond the campground and just before the parking area.) Back in the 90s, a friend of mine who lived up behind the tollgate store drove his ATV all the way down to the South Fork on this ATV (with his wife on the back) using this logging road.

Thanks for posting up the mountain biking guide! I'd never seen that before. As for biking this route, I met a couple of guys doing some trail maintenenace when I was about four miles from Target Meadows, and they said they had several bikers come by who were dropped at Target Meadows and rode all the way down to Harris Park. This would be an easier way of checking out the upper end of the trail.
Matt
Selah, WA

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Great pics and info as usual Matt :supz: ( if ya don't mind ) i'd like to steal this one for my weekly desktop wallpaper.

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

astrozam wrote:Great pics and info as usual Matt :supz: ( if ya don't mind ) i'd like to steal this one for my weekly desktop wallpaper.
Help yourself!
Matt
Selah, WA