What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

reaper
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by reaper »

Went down to Langley & picked up a new Garden Tractor,
Loaded it in the van,Drove home.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

How's that awning coming along? Let's post a new thread on it as a homemade awning is going to be popular.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Last Saturday during a torrential rain storm I wired in a 7-pin bargman plug and a brake controller. I decided to run the wires underneath the van, but the difficulty comes when running them back into the compartment. Where is a good place to run the wires in?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

the 93 got a brand spankin new muffler today... only to drive away and now hear a grinding in the left rear drum... maybe i should have left the loud (full-o-holes) muffler on #-o
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

installed new K&N air filter damn that old fram one was pretty dirty.....
picked up oil change goodies
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

crash wrote:the 93 got a brand spankin new muffler today... only to drive away and now hear a grinding in the left rear drum... maybe i should have left the loud (full-o-holes) muffler on #-o
yesterday, pulled the rear drum on the 93. nothing major, rust on the outside of the drum broke loose and was rubbing on the backing plate. hammered it all off. shoes and wheel cylinders are good. no more noise.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I picked up a 4l60e tailshaft seal and bushing today. I actually bought one from Kragan along with a seal puller, then ran over to Autozone to see if it was cheaper, it was. I'll return the Kragan parts at a later date.

So is it really as easy as pulling the seal and bushing and popping the new one in?

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Believe it or not, I'm already stumped on this supposedly simple repair. The tiny little bolts holding the rear u-joint are not coming free.

I soaked them in WD-40 last night and still nothing. I cracked a socket for my effort and the actual wrench that fit this small bolt is not longer than about 3" in length. I started to think maybe the threads are reversed, but got nothing for those efforts either. Suggestions?

My next attempt is to set-up my air compressor and try a quick jolt to break them free.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

LaGrasta wrote:I soaked them in WD-40 last night and still nothing. I cracked a socket for my effort and the actual wrench that fit this small bolt is not longer than about 3" in length. I started to think maybe the threads are reversed, but got nothing for those efforts either. Suggestions?
Yes, break out the propane torch and heat things up a bit. They have some sort of thread lighting compound on them and it seems penetrating oils have no effect. I've removed five drive shafts already this year, all had the same problem, and after a little heat they turn fairly easy.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

ihatemybike wrote:
LaGrasta wrote:I soaked them in WD-40 last night and still nothing. I cracked a socket for my effort and the actual wrench that fit this small bolt is not longer than about 3" in length. I started to think maybe the threads are reversed, but got nothing for those efforts either. Suggestions?
Yes, break out the propane torch and heat things up a bit. They have some sort of thread lighting compound on them and it seems penetrating oils have no effect. I've removed five drive shafts already this year, all had the same problem, and after a little heat they turn fairly easy.
I thought of doing this too, however I thought the heat would fry the grease in the u-joint needle bearings.

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Just keep the torch on the part they bolt into. Doesn't take much. I counted to 30 for each bolt and that was enough heat.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Dove into my first brake job. Was surprised at how easy and smooth it went. Installed new slotted/drilled rotors and brake pads. Bled brake system. Flushed and filled rear diff while I had the van jacked up. Spent an hour bedding in new rotors and brakes. Man, what a smoke show!!! Brakes are AMAZING now!! All with the help of my 14 y/o daughter. She loves turning wrenches with Dad! I usually do a write up with photos when I attempt a new mechanical repair (for the guy like me who needs all the help he can get), but was too lazy to do it this time around. Sorry.
I went with these brakes and rotors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-90 ... 06.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Astro-Va ... 06.c0.m245

Thank God for the internet. I watched a ton of videos for a couple of weeks to get the whole brake job inside my head, before I attempted. If someone would have told me several years ago that I would be doing all the repairs and upgrades to my own vehicle I would have laughed at them. Thanks fellow AstroSafarians! It's because of you and our awesome website that I ever even began my journey down the road to becoming a shade-tree mechanic!!! You guys rock! :supz:
Next up: Moog idler arms. \:D/
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Way to go Trybe! I've been doing brakes for years, saving a ton of money. Had a Jeeping friend contact me about doing his rear drums last week cause a shop said they needed done and wanted $500. They told him the drums needed replaced cause they were at 30%, they just needed turned. In all my friend spent less than $50 and he learned how to do rear drums, cause I made him do the second one after watching me do the first.

AstroSafarians, that word makes me think of Rastafarians.
Aaron

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

trybe13 wrote:Dove into my first brake job. Was surprised at how easy and smooth it went. Installed new slotted/drilled rotors and brake pads. Bled brake system. Flushed and filled rear diff while I had the van jacked up. Spent an hour bedding in new rotors and brakes. Man, what a smoke show!!! Brakes are AMAZING now!! All with the help of my 14 y/o daughter. She loves turning wrenches with Dad! I usually do a write up with photos when I attempt a new mechanical repair (for the guy like me who needs all the help he can get), but was too lazy to do it this time around. Sorry.
I went with these brakes and rotors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-90 ... 06.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Astro-Va ... 06.c0.m245

Thank God for the internet. I watched a ton of videos for a couple of weeks to get the whole brake job inside my head, before I attempted. If someone would have told me several years ago that I would be doing all the repairs and upgrades to my own vehicle I would have laughed at them. Thanks fellow AstroSafarians! It's because of you and our awesome website that I ever even began my journey down the road to becoming a shade-tree mechanic!!! You guys rock! :supz:
Next up: Moog idler arms. \:D/

Good to hear James :supz:

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

excellent James!!!

went and got a front air only AC line off a 99 that was being parted out. going to bypass my leaky rear AC and get the van cold again..

also grabbed a driver power mirror to replace the non-power on the 93 that i had to put on in a pinch last year when someone .. umm.. 'took it out'
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT