clunking noise and body cushions

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

clunking noise and body cushions

Post by uncle-vinny »

If you have a clunking noise on a 1988 Astro when you hit a speed bump, pothole, turn or brake it may be your body cushions. I had two cushions completely rotted and two more sort of rotted and rusted. I suspect the clunking was the frame and body moving. I replaced all six uppers, lowers, bolts and retainers. I could not find after market parts. I bought GM parts. They are discontinued at most dealers and even the part numbers are hard to find. I was able to order them from http://www.1stchevyparts.com. Some of the part numbers changed from the originals. If anyone needs this info here is the complete list. The cushions are referred to as 1, 2 and 3 and there is two of everything. One set is on the passenger side and the other on the driver’s side. 1 is in the front of the van, 2 is in the middle and 3 is all the way at the end of the frame towards the rear of the van. There are also an upper and lower cushion in each location as well as a bolt and retainer (big bevel washer). There are six locations altogether each consisting of a bolt, retainer, lower cushion and upper cushion.

#1 upper is 15601755
#2 upper is 15595052
#3 upper is 15183802

#1, #2, #3 lower is15595054

#1, #3 retainers are 15688319
# retainer is 15590772

#1, #3 bolts are 15677731
#2 bolt is 11519584

Replacement involves separating the frame from the body in order to remove the upper cushions. Jack on the frame, put jack stands on the body just behind #3. Take the bolts out, lower the frame a few inches. Install upper cushions, jack the frame back up. Torque #1 and #3 to 66ftlbs, torque #2 to 114ftlbs. Do one side at a time.

It cost me $200 including shipping. I found two #2 upper cushions on ebay for $15. The rest I got from http://www.1stchevyparts.com. No more clunking noise. I hope this helps someone.

:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Re: clunking noise and body cushions

Post by lockdoc »

Thanks. It's good to have the part #'s on hand. I've had the part #'s before but lost them.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Thanks for the part #'s UV, as these vans get older that info will be even more useful to members :supz:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Great info! I wonder if there is a suitable sub for these mounts? Another application that would work. My concern is the supply of these is dwindling....
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Same for me. I checked Rockauto, they only have the rear subframe bushing for my year model and the application listing is specific to the astros and safaris.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

funny i havea cluck under those same conditions haven't checked body mounts did notice this weekend that my control arm bushings are soft and cracked. i'll have to look into those body cushions good info
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone