having some cooling issues.

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
phatmaxx87
I finally get the smurf thing

having some cooling issues.

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Hi all. Im sure some of you are familure with my 383 vortec stroker swap I performed last year. now that it is summer and it is hot, I am running into a cooling issue. 90 degree day or hoter going down the freeway, coolant temp is right around 180-200. As soon as I stop during a trafic jam or whatever, the temp walks around 220ish.

Stock radiator(brand new btw)
stock pump, new also
stock 4.3 fan clutch and blade, clutch new.
factory shrowd that has been cut down to accomidate the added 4.5" of overall engine length.

I am wondering if the 4.3 fan blades have a differant pitch than the 5.7 because they cross referance differant part numbers. the fan cluch also has a differant part number.

Do you thing I have a radiator compasity issue or a under performing cooling fan issue? I find it hard to belive that a fan clutch doesn't draw as much air as an electric fan. Does anyone have specs on a stock fan and a fan off of a 5.7 thats out of an express. I am wondering if switching to an express clutch and fan will add cfm. thanks for looking.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: having some cooling issues.

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Living in my hot climate and towing upgrades in 80-125 f heat, I would never be comfortable with a 350 running a 4.3 rad, fan, shroud, clutch or twin cooling fans.

However, I understand that many of you V8 guys don`t tow toys through the desert, so you can perhaps get away with a 4.3 cooling system, but I wouldn`t recommend it for a 383 motor.

This is what I run for my extreme heat conditions, and my motor runs at 185-200f even when climbing the longest uphill grade (29 miles at 70mph, Chiriaco Summit on the 10 Fwy towards Blythe or Lake Havasu)

A `92 Chevy pickup rad, it`s a 1 core but the cores are 1 1/4 inches wide. ( Also found in early `90s Corvettes )

A modified to fit `92 pickup radiator shroud ( very important to have )

A 5 blade V8 pickup fanblade and fan clutch, but in the summer extreme heat I swap to a 9 blade HD from a `93 Caprice tbi 350 CopCar.

A high flow performance 185 f T-stat. Stock one for my `91 V8 is a 195 f.

New GM V8 waterpump ( cast iron ) fitted with a "Flow-cooler disc" to the vanes, which increases effeciency and flow.

My trans cooler lines do not flow into my radiator cooler, because I don`t need fast warm-up of tranny fluid for freezing temperatures, I never see them here. Just a huge motorhome sized 12 x 12 x 1inch thick air to air tranny cooler that is NOT mounted directly to my a/c condensor. ( because that will transfer heat across )

Some simple sheet aluminium ducting that scoops and directs oncoming air directly into my a/c condensor and radiator, from the sides and below. For all you guys with new-style front ends, cut out those "ducting holes" from below the main bumper line and guide all that incoming air up into your a/c and rad. Ducting will help your a/c run cooler also, on ANY Vehicle, highly recommeded if you can fabricate with aluminum or rubber tiles.

And just to let you know, My van ran this cool as a "short-nose" `86 cargo with these mods, in `98 when I completed my V8 swap. Then I moved up to transplanting a beautiful " long-nose" which is now called "new-style" haha!

And a new-style front end, gives you an extra 8 inches of extra room to mount your rad and fan.

This was the actual "flow-Kooler" disc that I fitted onto my 2.3 Ford Turbo sandrail, so I made another for my V8 Astro, to improve coolant flow.

Got a pic of my 9 blade Cop-Car Caprice 350 TBI fanblade here somewhere.... but I can`t find it right now.... A V8 5 blade will work for you non 120f guys.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Very good info, Darren. Thanks for posting. All of the tried and proven methods for swapping in a V8 that I've learned on this site will make my swap so much easier. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Good stuff Darren. :bounce:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Thanks a lot man. I still have the clutch fan and clutch from the 3500 express van that I took the engine out. If I put that on, do you think that I will notice a differance? Or do you think that I have a lack of cooling compacity issue? Lots of good info.
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Fit the V8 radiator, that is your main problem.

And it does fit between the chassis rails.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

do you have any photos? I am curious of how you are mounting it. I am assuming ther are no ways to utalize the factory mounts.

-Vance

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

This is the radiator that I bought. It's almost exactly the same dimensions as the stock radiator, only its about an inch or so taller and it's two-core. Obviously, I'll have to make mounts for it. I would think that this is big enough for my application.

Any thoughts?

-Vance

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

With Aluminum welded endtanks? "not plastic pressed together with the core" if so that is good for that price. Make sure that you fit either a 4.3 or 5.7 fanshroud that fits the whole rad surface (you may have to fabricate simple brackets, > I did)

You may have to build simple rubber mounts to support it, and keep it from vibration. ( look at other cars / vans / trucks in the junkyard for guidence)

As I said before, use a mechanical 5.7 fanblade (5-blade) with a new or good fan clutch, but If you see extreme heat in towing conditions like I do, a 9 blade is also available.

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

I think I am going to weld on aluminum wings on both sides of the radiator to utilalize the factory mounts. I may or not have the sufficent aluminum TIG welding skills at this point with my lincoln at home, I shal practice quite a bit first so I dont waist a new rad. [-X . Will for sure post pics if I do tho.

-Vance

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

No, just make new brackets for the top and bottom with rubber mounts on them, don`t be tig welding on that new rad.

Logan

Post by Logan »

This is so weird, Cause I live in central ohio with Vance and I have absolutly no cooling issues. Even while towing. I'm running the stock v6 rad, v6 clutch fan, and the stock thermostat (195) and stock waterpump. No AC condensor. I've got a regular Discount parts tranny cooler in line with the radiator tranny cooler, running 50/50 antifreeze in the radiator. The only thing I haven't got is a shroud. Everytime I think I get one right the stupid clutch fan starts hitting it. I don't use the oil cooler in my radiator either. I've put almost 15,000 miles on this setup with no issues. Could a 350 and a 383 be that big of a difference when it comes to cooling?

BTW Vance I really wanna see your van sometime. :-)
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Logan: Do you run headers by any chance? I run shorty headers and they seem to put out a lot of heat, they are even wraped. My van is lowered, I mightnot get as much wind threw comparied to a stock ride hight van(asuming your's is stock ride hight.) My SB should have more power than a stock 350, this might also be a contributing cause too.

Socal, your probably right, I will look and see if I can weld/bolt on brackets to the bottom of the coresupport to mount the bottom of the radiator. I know that a lot of people talk about runing a taurus electric fan, does anyone have a cfm rating for this fan and the stock 350 clutch fan set up? I am really thinking of converting to an electric fan. I just wanna know that it is gonna be overkill, hehe.'

-Vance

secrist
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by secrist »

I have a question....Socalli said to use a rad from a 92 truck. What size rad is it? A wider rad then stock will interfere with the ac lines. I am curious to see how it fits in..

Logan

Post by Logan »

phatmaxx87 wrote:Logan: Do you run headers by any chance? I run shorty headers and they seem to put out a lot of heat, they are even wraped. My van is lowered, I mightnot get as much wind threw comparied to a stock ride hight van(asuming your's is stock ride hight.) My SB should have more power than a stock 350, this might also be a contributing cause too.
Ahh, I see. Nope I'm running stock manifolds and still at stock ride height. Wow, I never thought those would be contributing factors. Cool. thanks
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus