swapping 4.3 vortec for 5.0 or 5.7 vortec

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Re: swapping 4.3 vortec for 5.0 or 5.7 vortec

Post by lockdoc »

Again, it depends on what engine setup you go with. But no matter what, something will need to be done with your PCM. It will not run ANY V8.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
jeff hosford
I am smitten with my van

Post by jeff hosford »

thanks for all the input still gathering parts. At this time still layed off. So all I can do right know is gather information. But everybody's input is welcome.

AstrSafariFamily
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by AstrSafariFamily »

I am getting ready to do the same swap in my 97 AWD Safari, I know the oil pan and the motor mounts need to be changed out, and the computer I will be switching with the one that came with the engine, also the complete wiring harness.the engines look the same from the top intake wise, both being with the spider injectors and the fuel line connections and even the hook up for the wiring harness looks to be the same connection. I am sure I will have to add to the connector for the two new cylinders or injectors. So what else would I have to look for?

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

As posted earlier, this looks to be an easy swap.

Check out this website http://WWW.LT1SWAP.COM this is where i'm getting my info and I'm having this guy change my PCM.

All you need to do is add 2 wires from the PCM to the injector connector which must be replaced with one from a V8, move the V6 injector wires into the correct order in the connector, and there is a change with the knock sensor that I don't have figured out 100% yet, but you may be able to use the V6 one. You do use the original PCM. All of the pin outs are on the site and Brendan will help you out if needed.

This guy can also help with the wires, but I'm stealing mine from a cheap Ebay harness, and I bought tools to release the pins in the conectors from http://www.lsxtune.com/ part # TOOL-02012. I'm hoping the release tools work. I used to use similar things when I did communications cabling, they can be a pain.

I posted a question about using an engine driven fan, and I plan to notch the frame for the right exhaust manifold. I'm using JTR mounts, and modding an oil pan.

I'll get some pics when I get to this van. There are a couple of things ahead of it right now.