Rod Knock.

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Rod Knock.

Post by Lon »

Well it's official. I prayed, did rituals to the motorhead gods and still it's bad. Over the winter my 90 Silverado developed a loud knocking. Several friends suggested a cracked flywheel or maybe a busted pressure plate. I pulled the NV-3500 5 speed this morning and everthing is intact. I started the motor and the noise is still there. So while my wife continues to drive the Astro I'm still stuck in my dad's 95 Nissan truck until I get the Blazer roadworthy or I suddenly get a free cab for my 73 rolling chassis. Now I have the ridicule to endure for owning 5.5 trucks, counting the 30-31 Model A cowl hanging on the shop wall, and having only one that can be driven. I will get the truck running again but it will be a while.
84 GMC Sierra: static drop, airbagged, now on jack stands.
95 Nissan truck: Cranked torsion bars 3" lowering blocks.
00 Astro: America Vans Conversion. Debadged, otherwise stock.
71 Chevy C-10: Ogre the Ocher truck. Work in progress.

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Rod Knock.

Post by e7ats »

Now I have the ridicule to endure for owning 5.5 trucks,
:poke:

JK,

I hope everything works out for you. Hopefully the rod knock doesn't turn out too bad. One thing you may want to do is check the back pressure of the exhaust. A Cat maybe bad and causing excessive back pressure. This will sometimes cause knocking. My 04 Safari had this. The company sold the van off. :cry:
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Re: Rod Knock.

Post by Lon »

e7ats wrote:
Now I have the ridicule to endure for owning 5.5 trucks,
:poke:

JK,

I hope everything works out for you. Hopefully the rod knock doesn't turn out too bad. One thing you may want to do is check the back pressure of the exhaust. A Cat maybe bad and causing excessive back pressure. This will sometimes cause knocking. My 04 Safari had this. The company sold the van off. :cry:

The previous owner cut the cats off. I did have a muffler shop move the the crossover to behind the trans. Its look restricive. When I get home later I'll take a sawzall to the exhaust and see what happens, I was never happy with the new crossover anyway. Right now I want an easy fix, I miss driving this truck.
Attachments
tn_DSC00836.JPG
tn_DSC00834.JPG
84 GMC Sierra: static drop, airbagged, now on jack stands.
95 Nissan truck: Cranked torsion bars 3" lowering blocks.
00 Astro: America Vans Conversion. Debadged, otherwise stock.
71 Chevy C-10: Ogre the Ocher truck. Work in progress.