What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by ihatemybike »

25% Off - yesterday evening: Installed the idle arms I removed from Grumpy. Yes, I'm putting parts back on the parts van. I hope to start it and drive it up and down the alley, in front of someone looking to by the engine. Started taking apart the interior for transfer into Grumpy, I do like gray interiors better. Removed the drivers side mirror and the OBDII mount to install in Green.

Grumpy: Junk yard run. Left with a wagon wheel center cap, pocket full of lug nuts, driver's door handle, and a big ol' plate trans cooler from a CarQuest badged Silverado.

All the nice looking C4C vehicles in the yard is sickening. So many good vehicles, scrapped.

Green: Installed the replacement drivers mirror and OBDII mount, reinstalled the engine cover and center console.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy yesterday: Forgot to post that I replaced the blower motor resistor with one from the C4C vans. First thing I did was crank the heat, cause it sucked last winter not having any. So hot! So good! Tried the AC, but it was cool enough that I didn't really notice any difference between it and just running the vents.

Grumpy today: Woke up to a cool, windy morning, put the heat on low and cruised to work. So nice.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Green: Ran it over to emissions and failed, due to it not being driven enough since the battery was put back in. Went to dinner with my father where he noticed a nice coolant leak under the van. Tried to limp it to the nearest gas station, but only made it about a half mile before temps were higher than I liked. Had AAA bring it home. Haven't got a good look yet, but they way it's leaking I think it's a hose. Never seen a water pump seep this much, but who knows.
Aaron

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i rolled up the windows on the 92.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Philly758
I get chills without my van.

Post by Philly758 »

Drove the Safari to work and showed it off... 3rd day with the van.
2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Drove to the drive-in and watched Gamer. Good flick, good drive. :supz:
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

changed a headlight bulb in the 99 :D
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Crash, What kinda bulb did you go with? Thanks, Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

justice wrote:i rolled up the windows on the 92.
Dang Justice, you da Man! :poke:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Philly758

Post by Philly758 »

Got bored at work today so I made some changes to my safari on MS Paint...

2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

Philly758

Post by Philly758 »

Today I was bored at work so I modified my van in MS paint...

2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Same old drive to work but this time I scouted an H2 and parked next to it ... Princess looks good next to the "big" H2 :) If I have time I will run out and get a photo, currently pouring and I am on a con-call.

Nice to meet you Philly! Just curious why you would lower the ride by 2"? What type of driving are you doing? The fog lights you might want to make them something else instead hehe but either way make sure to use some rubber between the lights and the grill ... bouncing lights = headache :(
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Philly758

Post by Philly758 »

phr1$k37 wrote:Nice to meet you Philly! Just curious why you would lower the ride by 2"? What type of driving are you doing? The fog lights you might want to make them something else instead hehe but either way make sure to use some rubber between the lights and the grill ... bouncing lights = headache :(
I was really just playing around with ideas to see how they would look and lowering it in paint seemed like a fun idea. I mainly do a lot of highway driving to bike races (downhill mountain biking) in the Northeast. It will also double as the ski van this winter for myself and my friends, this is why I went with an AWD.

I don't think I will be lowering it, unless I could do it legit and on the cheap. I wouldn't really gain any benefits especially since I plan to drive it in the snow and do some mild towing.

As for the fog lights... I am getting some older rectangular hellas from a friend for free. I'll have to toy around with some locations to see where they fit best. Thanks to your advice I will make sure they are solid so they don't bounce.
2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Bike runs and skiing ... dont lower. Just leave at stock height. You might even find yourself popping on a small lift.
Click on the link in my SIG (below) and you can see the height with 2" lift ... then I went more to 4-5" :)
Also in the link page near the bottom you can see a link for the KC Hilites 775. Your hella's will be close in size I think. Are they the 4x6"? Mine are 3x5".
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

5 tire rotation, wheel alignment, then I took her to the local pic and pull. I left her out front, didn't want her to see all the carnage. he he.