What going on in my Radiator?

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: What going on in my Radiator?

Post by astrozam »

astroturf wrote: O.K., I'll bite. We have got 2 pics in this thread, right? I have just tried to post a picture of a proper flush kit (size is 56k). Why can't I post it? Jim
Basically what Jim ( Rileysowner) said is correct, The Entire Board has a certain amount of space for all attachments, once that limit has been reached it doesn't matter if you were trying to post a 1k pic you would still get the same declined message. The reason Jbird was able to post a pic in this thread was that he used a photo-host ( in this case Photobucket )to post his pic. I understand the frustration of not being able to help someone out because of a technical glitch and its a PITA when that stuff happens. If we do end up choosing to increase the board limit, its doubtful going to happen in the next day or so, if we don't increase the limit then the Mods are going to have to take a look thru their respective forums and selectively delete photo's which have been already uploaded using the attachment option in order to free up some room.

Irregardless of what we decide to do it would be best for you and any other member ( who doesn't use a photo-host ) to grab one of the free ones out there, they really do come in very handy. Here is a thread with shows you how to link pics to this site using photobucket. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=210

Hope this clears it up for ya Jim. :cheers:

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Yes Sir, I am currently reading that post, I will figure it out. Is there something we can do as members to help, i.e. donations? Love the forum, guess I just have to come up to speed. I'm a Noob. Thanks again, Jim

Oh, and by the way. The overload message maybe a good educational tool for all on this forum.

Topic author
jbird
I get chills without my van.

Post by jbird »

Dropped the RAD. off today and they never say anything like it! (shops 40 years old and with the same owner).

they're going to clean it and pressure test it. all FREE....sweet deal!

Topic author
jbird

Post by jbird »

How to flush your block without the radiator being installed?

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Jbird, With what you had in your radiator. I would suggest you get some step down adapters to fit a fire hose, fit it to the nearest fire hydrant, remove the thermostat, and turn on the fire hydrant. No, No, Just kidding. I will watch to see a real answer though. Good Luck with it. Jim

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

So what were the results?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
jbird

Post by jbird »

Well $25 bill! Came out great and clean. They suspected some type of soap, But was not 100% sure. The guys said i should flushed my block out with a water hose. TRUE?

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

True. The rest of your cooling system probably looks like that too.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
jbird

Post by jbird »

do i remove the thermostat and flush from the top or bottom hose?

Or should i put the radiator back in and flush?

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would not put your clean radiator in the circuit. You will just flush the crap into it. I have never flushed an engine with a water hose, but if I was I would pull the t-stat and put the intake hose into a 5 gallon bucket and the outlet into another to catch the old stuff. Then start the engine and run the heater on high. Once the water is clean, shut it down and put in a new t-stat. Then remove the drain plugs on side of the heads to remove as much water as you can.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
jbird

Post by jbird »

great post liftedastro!

I would not put your clean radiator in the circuit. You will just flush the crap into it. I have never flushed an engine with a water hose, but if I was I would pull the t-stat and put the intake hose into a 5 gallon bucket and the outlet into another to catch the old stuff. Then start the engine and run the heater on high. Once the water is clean, shut it down and put in a new t-stat. Then remove the drain plugs on side of the heads to remove as much water as you can.

but you lost me on....Once the water is clean! how would the water come clean? also i have no heater or a/c!! Where is this drain plug located ?

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Remove the thermostat, and replace the fitting with No stat.

Connect a garden hose via step-down connectors to your top hose, while the lower hose runs free and is disconnected from the lower rad. Let the water flow out at medium pressure from the hose. Have the heater set on Hi
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Been setting here reading this thread over the last couple of days.Not for nothing.........but if it where me,I would want to track this down to know for certain where this stuff came from. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Gary!!! I thought you were banished from the site?
Peter

California
I am smitten with my van

Post by California »

I agree with all of the above and can I suggest a little block flushing gadget?
If you happen to have an old plastic pop up sprinkler sitting around simply gut it and place a male female attachment to one end so your garden hose fits. The other end usually fits straight inside your radiator hose and is tight enough to keep in place.