Mileage on used van correct?

Topic author
California
I am smitten with my van

Mileage on used van correct?

Post by California »

Went for another test drive in the 92 Astro today and I have a few questions. First off the odometer is reading a very respectable set of numbers for it's age. I'm looking at the paperwork from when the van was purchased off a lot in August 2006 and it reads the mileage at 53K

Here is a photo of the odometer from today...

It looks as though It hasn't done much traveling in 3 years not to mention since 1992 so I'm curious, I don't know of any way the numbers could have been reset/changed do any of you?

Topic author
California
I am smitten with my van

Re: Mileage on used van correct?

Post by California »

Another thing I'm sat here thinking about is the power or lack of in regards to the engine. She starts with no problem and smoothly idles but it feels as though there is no real power like I would expect a V6 to have. Now this could be because the BMW has a straight six and is diesel but I just don't know. I need this van for towing so it's got me a little worried if it's up to the job.

It's been a while since my last ride in a Chevy but it feels sluggish to me... what say you?

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

It's not going to "pull" like a 6 cylinder BMW diesel.... but it should be adequate to pull that small BBQ trailer. Those are nice low mileage numbers.
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

AFAIK if the instrument cluster was replaced then the odometer would be at zero on the new one other then that i don't know any way to reset the digital odometers
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
California
I am smitten with my van

Post by California »

Thanks guys I was thinking the same thing but figured I would ask. I am swayed my the low mileage and figure it has a good life span ahead as a work play and van.

The documents are plentiful in the way of MOT inspections and repairs...

Immobilizer installed- Jan 2008
New alternator-Mar 2008
LPG (Zavoli) installed-March-2008
New exhaust system-Sept-2008
Steering drag link-July-2008
Ball Joints-May 2006
Steering Idler- May 2007
Brakes= shoes, pads,2 Cylinders- Oct 2006
Battery- Feb 2008

She feels a bit heavy/ sloppy on turns, I suspect that's normal for it's age though. :-k

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

that's pretty normal if the shocks are worn out and the rear leaf springs are past their best before date. It's not hard to made it feel more stable though
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

Topic author
California
I am smitten with my van

Post by California »

Cool. I'll have to see about finding some adjustable Ranchos and/or helper springs but I don't hold much faith on geting them locally. Looks like I may have to send back home for them. :cry:

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

AFAIK if the instrument cluster was replaced then the odometer would be at zero on the new one other then that i don't know any way to reset the digital odometers
Not so if replaced by dealer.
I purchased a used 92 Safari conversion years ago with what I thought were very low miles for the year but after driving it for some time I noticed the milage wasn't what I thought it should be for the time I had driven it. Let that situation slide a couple of times and told myself I was mistaken but after at least a year I realized when the milage reached at certain point it would reset itself back to earlier milage. Went back to the dealer in town where it was bought new and he researched their shop records and found there was a problem at some point as the milage was not what it should have been after an earlier service. We worked out a money refund and he ordered a new digital unit but I remember him saying we need to agree on what the milage should be and calculated that by an earlier service a year or so before and added around 24,000 to the new unit. So milage can be run up on a new unit and can also run backwards on an old one.lol

If at all possible check with the dealer or your service manual for service and corresponding milage and see if you run across any issues. In other words, if it went in at 30,000 in early 1994 and then back for service in 95 showing less or 31,000 you may have the same problem I was having.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
California
I am smitten with my van

Post by California »

Funny enough I did notice a error with the milage on the paprwork when the LPG was installed. The numbers are way TOO high not to be a mistake.

Topic author
California
I am smitten with my van

Post by California »

... that and it's not a Ford.lol

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

best ford i've every seen :cheers:

so does that mean the mileage is at over 1 million and it reset or they just made up the number...?
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Cobra wrote:best ford i've every seen :cheers:

so does that mean the mileage is at over 1 million and it reset or they just made up the number...?
that just looks made up. Like the installer did the install went into the office and did the paperwork after it had left or after he lost where he wrote all the info down.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I have an '04 Sierra that had a rattle in the dashboard, so as it was still under warranty I took it into the dealer and they ended up replacing the gauge cluster with a used unit. The used cluster had 4800 less kms. on it than the original. :cheers: :supz:
Peter