stitch welding

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

stitch welding

Post by Cobra »

so i was talking to the guys at work about my dream rally car and roll cages and such then i mentioned stitch welding. I know the absolute basic idea behind it but what do you think would happen to a stro thats been stitch welded (for some reason i don't like typing that)
I know Body flex has been talked about many times but i couldn't remember if removing it was good or bad, i know the ride quality would go down considerably but would anything really bad come from it.

now i'm sure the first question that came to your minds reading this is "who in their right mind would do something like that to a MINIVAN or any daily driver"
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Re: stitch welding

Post by Hotroder383 »

Only thing I can think of right off hand would be to double chek door alginment, brace it really good. I cant think of any downs, but I cant think of any up's either. I mean you COG is way too high to road race, Rally car, well kinda big there too. Be good for the off road rock crawler guys but that is the only plus I see......
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Hi,
Not to sure what your concern is about stitch welding. Stitch welding is just as strong as bead welding. The only difference between bead and stitch welding is you are able to disperse the heat generated by the actual welding of the metal over a larger area, where as with bead welding there is a tendancy for thinner metals to warp with the heat that is generated.
Stitch welding, when completely filled in, is no different from bead welding. Done properly both technics are equally strong.
Peter

Topic author
Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Hotroder383: sorry it's wasn't very clear i had no intention of using my van as a rally car, i intend (or maybe i should say dream) to pick up a 1986 toyota mr2 for that.

Kabey's Van: i was just curious if going over the factory welds on our vans would have any real affects (not something i would do just curious)
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I don't think you would notice any difference in the way the van handles by adding more weld to the factory spot welded seams. You may even cause some problems, (ie; stress cracks) by not allowing the van to flex, as most if not all vehicles are designed to flex, some what.
Peter

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Post by Hotroder383 »

Ahhh ok, I thought you were adding material to the frame and braceing of the car. Boxing in the frame and adding plates to A-arms is common thing for the grass roots racer to do. AKA thoses of us that cant afford to buy the nice tublar A-Arms and fancy braceing they sell =) But ya I'd go with Kabey on this one, stitch is just another way of not warping the metal your working on with too much heat. You could go back through an solid weld it by adding stitches but you wouldnt notice a bit of differance.
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/