Wheel dollies???.

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Wheel dollies???.

Post by 1Gary »

I was wondering if anyone has ever built wheel dollies??.The ones you put under the wheels of a car/van and then you are able to push the car/van around to where you need it in the garage/shop.The garage I just rented has a 8' wide door and the garage it's self is 12' wide by 24' deep.Kind of tight,but workable if I can push Ole Yellar side to side.

So if you have built some and have dimensions for the parts or drawings..................anything to help me weld or bolt wooden ones together.

Thanks,

Gary
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Re: Wheel dollies???.

Post by Hotroder383 »

Cant say as I made mine, but i did buy a set from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=38959
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

+1 to the HF dollies. I caught mine on sale several years ago. I think less than $100 for the set of four.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

A friend has a set that I *think* came from Jeg's. They work great to move his Z28 on smooth concrete. For no more than the HF ones cost, I wouldn't mess around with building them. I would, however, consider spending my money on a couple (like 3 or 4) floor jacks (the 3 ton ones with long handles, Sears has them on sale for like $50 each around this time of year) to use for this purpose. Not as manuverable, but works for ok, and have other uses.

12' is miserable to work in. I have an old garage that is about 26' square, and has a pole right in the center ](*,) . It is great to work on a motorcycle in one of the bays, but tight to park a car in. It was almost OK to work under the hood, but I couldn't hardly change a tire in there. 24' deep is also tight for any kind of real work. I couldn't pull and engine in mine, not enough room to move. I do all of my work on a concrete slab outside instead of messing with that cramped garage.

I think I'd keep looking.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

rlsllc wrote:A friend has a set that I *think* came from Jeg's. They work great to move his Z28 on smooth concrete. For no more than the HF ones cost, I wouldn't mess around with building them. I would, however, consider spending my money on a couple (like 3 or 4) floor jacks (the 3 ton ones with long handles, Sears has them on sale for like $50 each around this time of year) to use for this purpose. Not as manuverable, but works for ok, and have other uses.

12' is miserable to work in. I have an old garage that is about 26' square, and has a pole right in the center ](*,) . It is great to work on a motorcycle in one of the bays, but tight to park a car in. It was almost OK to work under the hood, but I couldn't hardly change a tire in there. 24' deep is also tight for any kind of real work. I couldn't pull and engine in mine, not enough room to move. I do all of my work on a concrete slab outside instead of messing with that cramped garage.

I think I'd keep looking.

Roy-I signed a yr lease because I looked for months and couldn't find a garage with a tall enough door for the high top van unless it was commercial and then by the foot was way out of my budget.Going to have to be inventive on how I use this space and make it work the best way I can.Shelving to put stuff on up high and fold down bench,etc.

I looked at the HF paper catalog and didn't see the wheel dollies listed in there.So,cool,they do carry them.I'll have to give them a call to see which local store has them in stock.Probability right not messing with building a set.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I also agree for the price, just get a set of HF ones. If you do an internet search, you can find a 10 - 20% off coupon.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy