Brake wobble ...

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Brake wobble ...

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Everyone,

Before I explain what is going on I want to make it clear that I have quality rotors installed and the 1 ton calipers installed. Been running fine for quite some time now.

Alright! So around summer time when I would be loaded up with weight and barreling downhill (not up... but down) if I had to get on my brakes my vehicle would be shaking pretty darn good ... the steerwheel would need to be gripped tightly in my hands.

Now in the city no load I great the shake when braking every so often. Maybe 1 out of 2 times I brake?

I really do not think it is my brakes but I been noting that my vehicle gets quite jitterish some times.

Is this my idler arms again?
What else in the front-end can I look at to figure out all this shake / jitter?
If I slam on the brakes no jitter shake.

97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Brake wobble ...

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sounds like either warped rotors or one of the calipers is not sliding properly.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Sounds like either warped rotors or one of the calipers is not sliding properly.

Really? Man ... then Darren and myself will be eating our words about these Brembo rotors hehhee. The Calipers were brand spanking new. Ratz. I will need to look into them :(
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It could be rotors. I'd be checking all of the steering parts also. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've had bad ball joints do something similar on another vehicle.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I hesitated to say steering because anytime the SPB's steering parts were worn out, which was after EVERY wheeling trip, it never shimmied like you describe. It only did it if the rotors were warped. Did you torque the lug nuts every time you had a wheel off?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I hesitated to say steering because anytime the SPB's steering parts were worn out, which was after EVERY wheeling trip, it never shimmied like you describe. It only did it if the rotors were warped. Did you torque the lug nuts every time you had a wheel off?

95ftn on each lug nut for the win!
(no not every time ... blah).
Also anytime the road is anything but smooth I feel all the ruts and gruts. So off-roading is fine since I am gripping the wheel tight anyways haha.

Slightly off topic:
My alignment is good as tested by a frame specialize shop. But my steering wheel pulls right. I think it is my torsion bars ... that would mean my driver side is "higher" right? I cant tell if she is leveled because I dont have leveled ground around me heh he.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

if it only does it at braking i'm going to go with Lifted (since he seems to have been there and done that on most of the problem we have) and say either warped rotor or partially seized caliper, probably the warped rotor is a good bet.
I had a partially seized caliper and it pulled to the left briefly when i first hit the peddle then would straighten out (scary in an emergency).
ANY rotor will warp if not torqued properly or over torqued Brembo's are no exception
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

I've had rotors and get this ... outer tie rods cause a brake shake like this
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

See that is the thing it is not just under braking ... under braking I feel it the most. When rolling I can feel the shake some times.
Tie rod eh? Hmmm I have not changed that yet.
But I will check the rotor. I dont crank on the lug nuts.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

yep.. I didn't expect it either. mine 'wobble' was worse under hard breaking but, was slightly noticeable at low speeds not under breaking.

super easy to check, you watch the ends while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth. done on the ground, no jacking required.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You can also hold every steering joint while a helper moves the steering wheel. Sometimes it's easier to feel the movement than see it. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Post by BREAK »

My 95 has been doing pretty much the same thing as your's phr1$k37. It varies from no pulsation/shake to pretty violent. I never know what I'm going to get when i hit the brakes. All of the front end pieces are nice and tight and I'm not getting any odd tire wear.
Sometime in the next few days/weeks I'll be installing new tires and rims and I'm curious how that's going to effect things. I would just suspect the rotors are warped but since it sometimes has no pulsation at all I'm not sure. Seems like if the rotors were warped i would have the pulsation every single time. Since it's erratic i think it might be the tires are out of balance and the "heavier" parts of the tires match up just right, like the LF heavy side facing the front and the RF heavy side facing rearward. Maybe I'm crazy but it makes sense in my head as a way to explain the inconsistencies.

I guess new tires will tell.
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Break!
Not crazy at all... The violent shaking happens most when in extreme conditions that taxi the tires load aka flex. Let me know what happens with your change up. As much as I see an opportunity to buy new wheels ... I quite like the factory wheels.

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Loose, worn, or a bad wheel bearing can cause the symptoms you are describing, so can worn out ball joints. If these parts are starting to go south, high speed hard brakeing will produce a violent shake.
Have it looked at Abe.