Blowing fuses all of the sudden

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Blowing fuses all of the sudden

Post by coolen »

Good day to all. Well, the wife broke the van again =D>

I'm pretty 12v savy, but I'm having issues here. The circuit that protects the dome lights, cig lighter, and stereo keeps blowing as soon as the fuse is put in. I hauled the stereo out because that is the only after market piece of equipment on that circuit. I checked the wiring looking for exposed wires etc, but found nothing. Also the stereo fuse was not blown, in the deck it'self. I thought for sure my problem was there, because as I'm sure you all know there isn't much room in the dash for an aftermarket stereo.

Has anyone experienced this before? Where should I start?

Thanks
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Blowing fuses all of the sudden

Post by astrozam »

Have you had the Headliner down to check the wiring and to make sure there is no moisture up in the light console? Hows the roof especially around the window? rust in this area can allow water in and to be blown back towards the console.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

interesting you say that. back when i was using for my emerg response vehicle, i did have a lightbar on top. since...i've siliconed up the hole and thought nothing of it. i guess i'll drop the overhead console down to have a peek.

thanks!! i wouldn't of thought of that :cheers:
95 safari AWD

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

No probs, its worth a shot :cheers:

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

also the cig lighter sockets have two metal tabs (arms) that can get pushed back in too far and cause a short. check to make sure they are not contacting the sides (ground)

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

batmo wrote:also the cig lighter sockets have two metal tabs (arms) that can get pushed back in too far and cause a short. check to make sure they are not contacting the sides (ground)
Good call. I found a penny (or dime, don't remember) in one once, it cause blown fuses also.

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

Good info everyone thanks. I'll be tacklin' it today, and I'll start with the cig lighter idea first as that doesn't involve too much work. \:D/

I'll let ya's know, thanks
95 safari AWD

JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

Post by JaxSPL »

Yea, I'd check the cig lighter. Mine ended up loose one day. I did not know it and had to use an air pump. I plugged it in and the fuse blew. Unplugged the pump, replaced the fuse, and it still blew. Went through 3 or 4 fuses trying to figure it out. Finally removed the lighter (replaced actually) and all is well.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

Topic author
coolen

Post by coolen »

Well, the lighter socket seemed to be the problem. I unplugged it, and was able to plug a fuse in right away. I didn't see any bent tabs or anything though...maybe it was just plain wore out?

Either way, thanks again to all- and once again astrosafarivans saved me a lot of hair pulling.

:partyman:
95 safari AWD