New member: San Jose, CA

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

New member: San Jose, CA

Post by slim724 »

Hello, just wanted to get in a quick intro before I started posting, I just purchased a 99 Astro with 40k miles. It was previously a Fed vehicle out of Sonoma County with very limited usage. I am a Jeep kinda guy and have had Cherokees for years so a van was not really what I was planning on and the wife was very much against a minivan of any type. I am recently married (2yrs) have a 1yr old daughter, and trying for 2nd child, hopefully a boy to even out the odds, also my dog Cooper, a Catahoula Leopard Hound who is growing to be a bit bigger than expected, needless to say, wife, daughter, dog and camping/baby gear are getting to be a bit cramped for simple camping trips, even with roof rack packed, mainly because of the spare and hi-lift jack being on the roof. I started looking at crossovers and trucks but decided not put myself in debt for the next 20yrs with the outrageous prices on new vehicles, then I came across this Astro and decided for what it is, it would be perfect for my needs (camping/fishing/hiking/biking) and a growing family, not to mention that it cost 1/10 of a new king cab truck or smaller crossover vehicle. When I showed my wife a pic of the Astro, she really wasn't impressed or interested, so I embarked on journey to find pics of modified vans, (since I always modify my vehicles anyways) so she could see the potential that it had and that's how I managed to come across this sight. I decided to show her Peter's ZZ, since it is close to the same color as mine, and is an all around bad-ass customization job. She liked it! In fact, she said I could only purchase the Astro if I modified it with a lift and put a roof rack on top! So it was a done deal and I purchased it within 2 days for a very modest sum. So far, after going over it with a fine tooth comb, the only problems I found are the following: needs new rear shocks and tires, a 2in rip in drivers side armest, 1 dash bulb is out behind rear A/C controls, needs 1 gray vent cover for rear air/heat, a small ding in pass side wheelwell lip and that's it, it drives like a new vehicle, it is comfy and so far I love it in it's stock form. Just this weekend I used it to truck people, gear, tables and chairs for an event, and it was perfect, I didn't event have to take out the 3rd row seat, I am thoroughly impressed with it as is my wife, it is a true Multi-Purpose Vehicle.

My list of upgrades will be the following as time/money permits:
Trans cooler
Air intake/High flow cats/muffler
3.73 gears
4in lift
wheels/tires
Tow hitch
Composite style grill assembly
Roofrack/Lightbar
Paint
a V8 swap on the wishlist

some pics of it, since everybody likes pics

Some pics of my other ride

ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: New member: San Jose, CA

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome! You definitely picked the right vehicle for pretty much all reasons! Nice, clean van and a VERY nice Cherokee! :cheers:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site, Slim. What a great find. And only 40k. We'll be watching the mod progress. And pics, pics, and more pics. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Welcome,,,you're in the right place for sure.
Love the sleeper hub caps and wheels on the van. If you ever get rid of those, let me know,,would look great on a V-8 powered panel. All I'm saying about a panel right now.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Welcome to the board! I'm fond of the jeep cherokees as well - have two. I got the first cherokee for the same reasons you got the van. I couldn't drive with two toddler car seats in the ford ranger I had at the time.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Welcome Slim! :cheers:
You'll fit right in! Nice new project. Definitely keep the pics coming, its inspiring!
I got into these vans for the exact same reasons. Hauling 3 kids and lots of gear to camping destinations and soccer practice! See you got a G80 too. I was also sure to mention to my wife about your wifes prerequisites for buying your van!! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Welcome! :bounce: :bounce:

Good lookin' van!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Post by BREAK »

Nice van! Looking forward to seeing your mods.
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome, my biggest obstacle for the mods will be one thing only, money of course, so I'm off to the salvage yard, just to see what's out there in the way of these vans, mainly looking for a composite grill assembly, haven't really decided upon Chevy or GMC style, and I need a vent cover, the yard is about a mile from where I have to run an errand anyways, so off I go, and I'll be sure to take pics of any substantial mods
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

welcome slim .... Image you guys and your super clean salt free vehicles Image
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Welcome to Our World.... Because we got all your V8 answers here.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Hahaha, no V8 yet, I still have the 4.3 that's barely broken in, once I tire it out a bit the V8 will become a serious consideration, plus I have to convince wifey of the much needed conversion, it'd be pretty hard to hide that one!
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

It will get better gas mileage, under a light foot. But how can you keep a light foot on the gas with all that new-found torque....?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Haha, yeah right, maybe if I kept it stock, I think my mileage will take a hit with bigger rims/tires and 3.73 gears, but I'll try that one as a selling point to the wife. I mainly want the V8 to pull a 5500lb old tri-hull boat, haven't tried it in the van yet but my slightly modified Cherokee pulls it without much trouble, curious to see how the van does
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Darren,,did ya check out the sleeper wheels and hub caps ? Love those things on the right vehicle.
Reminds me of a buddy of mine who ordered a new 62 BelAir,,,409, 2/4's,4sp,bench seats with the clear plastic covers. Had black wall tires with the small caps. One bad ride and looked like "Old Blues" ride,,,our blue haired English teacher in High School. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words