Cheap Fix for Bad Encoder Motor 99-2005 AWD

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
Mr Bean
I finally get the smurf thing

Cheap Fix for Bad Encoder Motor 99-2005 AWD

Post by Mr Bean »

This is based on literally days of research on the web as well as my own frustrations replacing my encoder motor on my TC. If you have confirmed that you have a failed or failing encoder motor this might be for you.

1. Only try this if you are meticulous and willing to put in the time to "recondition" your motor (3-5 hours)
2. If you are careful, and it still doesn't fix your issue, the good news is that most parts places that take your core, will still give you $30-40 for it if you purchase a replacement from them.
3. Once you have your assembly open, perform all maintenance on it. Don't put it back in your van "hoping" a simple cleaning does the trick. You'll save yourself time and headache if you go through the whole unit.

Here are links on how to recondition a motor. These descriptions and instructions are for other encoder motors (not the Astro/Safari) so you will need to customize them for yourself.

If someone wants to do this, please take photos and we could have a new Tech article on encoder motor reconditioning...

This first link has several "additions" to the original instructions (which aren't helpful) and I would recommend you read through these "additions" as a few of them are very helpful in describing the cleaning of the motor/shaft and reassembly of such including ways to get the brushes snapped back onto shaft etc. If you have the time, patience, and steady hands, this is a whole lot cheaper than the nearly $500 for a new part from GM or $140 for a reconditioned part at RockAuto or PartsTrain. Hope this helps someone!
Cheers!

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/ ... tcase.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... tmotor.htm
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281