anybody installed astro lt side panels on a non lt

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Rvamobiledetailing
I get chills without my van.

anybody installed astro lt side panels on a non lt

Post by Rvamobiledetailing »

Hey Everybody,

Has anybody installed the astro lt(dont know if they came on any other models) on non lt's? I would like to install these on my 95 astro. How would i go about installing these? How would i get them off without messing them up? I have some pics below to show the differences

Here is my 95

Here is what i want i believe this is a 98 lt

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Re: anybody installed astro lt side panels on a non lt

Post by lockdoc »

There are a bunch of pins welded to the body panels that the molding attaches to that your 95 won't have.

I have the opposite taste. I'd be trying to figure out how to get all the crap off the van.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i wonder if the pins that hold on the black molding are the same for the cladding? I thought there was just double sided tape and no pins for the cladding...

i too prefer the look with the cladding as opposed to without. i think i relate it to looking newer.

also, the little cap on the front fender right next to the doors would have to come off as the lower cladding piece is that cap but then extends along under the doors on the rockers. that section is held on with a horribly designed metal bracket that rots away (if you live where salt is used on the roads) and leaves the cladding piece to fend on it's own.

other than the pins, is a lot of double sided tape.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
Rvamobiledetailing

Yeah i think it kinda does make the van look newer also,now just have to see about finding one in the junk yard with the cladding

96blueastro
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by 96blueastro »

The body cladding became standard in 1997. It was on both the LS and LT. Don't know if it was on the base model or not.
96 Astro LS, one owner
Gibson cat-back
Volant CAI
ROH 17x8.5 rims w/255/50's

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

No way would I be looking to add cladding to the van. I've had two vans with it and both had the mounting hardware underneath rot away. If the two tone look of those vans is desired, check out a product called Durabak. It's a brand of consumer applied bed liner, but they offer a smooth finish version of their product so it doesn't look as utilitarian. If you go this route make sure you get the UV protected to prevent fading.

Both my 97s don't have cladding. Off the top of my head, I don't know if they are both base models or not.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

the green van is not an lt its an ls, but that doesnt matter like mentioned the cladding was standard on all ls's ant lt's in the years after 95. vans with this cladding did not have any pins welded to the sides. it is strictly held on by adhesive therefore it is removable with leaving no trace of it ever being present. and yes you could put it on your van, but the strips that adhere to the side of your van which the cladding then clips onto tend to get busted upon removal, at least mine did. in order to get it to stay on there properly you would probably have to purchase these adhesive clips straight from a dealer, and i dont know if they even sell them.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I like the cladding too. If I had it, my rocker panels would not be so beat up, paint stripped, and rusted. The salt brings it right out.

Mr Bean
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mr Bean »

lockdoc wrote:There are a bunch of pins welded to the body panels that the molding attaches to that your 95 won't have.

I have the opposite taste. I'd be trying to figure out how to get all the crap off the van.

ditto. can i do this on my 2001 LT?
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

Mr Bean wrote:
lockdoc wrote:There are a bunch of pins welded to the body panels that the molding attaches to that your 95 won't have.

ditto. can i do this on my 2001 LT?
yes you can, there are no pins welded to the van like a few believe. it is strictly adhered on with the exception of a couple screws and bolts in the wheel wells and rockers if i recall. once its off though you cant see where the screws or bolts were. you will probably see a little fading in the paint and depending on what you use to remove the adhesive gunk you may have a slight residue line as well. i took my 99's off years ago, some of the screws are hard to see so dont be too forceful as you remove it because you might be hung up on a screw yet in some areas.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Mr Bean
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mr Bean »

I've already removed the lower skirt whose mounting rots and rusts away...and removed the mini bolts that screwed into the body underneath...so the larger cladding on the side is merely double sided tape!? nice! i can get that residue off. done it many times before. this thread is about adding the cladding though..so i'll skip out. if anyone wants to buy my white cladding, i'll sell :)
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

yes sir, just tape!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

timelessbeing wrote:I like the cladding too. If I had it, my rocker panels would not be so beat up, paint stripped, and rusted. The salt brings it right out.
Makes it worse. The cladding has a gap behind it that holds salty moisture. My van has no rockers left because of it. Just can't tell because the cladding covers up the rusty sheet metal. My 93 lasted alot longer than my 98 did and I attribute that to not having the cladding. Reminds me of the running boards on my old Suburban. I bent one so I went to take them off and poof my rockers came with em. Where as my G/fs dads Suburbans rockers where just fine and his truck was 3 years older.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

potskie wrote: Makes it worse. The cladding has a gap behind it that holds salty moisture. My van has no rockers left because of it. Just can't tell because the cladding covers up the rusty sheet metal. My 93 lasted alot longer than my 98 did and I attribute that to not having the cladding. Reminds me of the running boards on my old Suburban. I bent one so I went to take them off and poof my rockers came with em. Where as my G/fs dads Suburbans rockers where just fine and his truck was 3 years older.
So if you seal them, then you shouldn't have that problem.

Topic author
Rvamobiledetailing

was thinking the same thing