Shift it myself type of thing

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Merlin
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Shift it myself type of thing

Post by Merlin »

From what I have found so far the biggest problems are the shifter position and the pedal mount. My van doesn't have the mounting location,the metalmount, in it that the pedal goes through. So I will have to come up with something that will work and I am hoping to find something in the JY that will do. The shifter location is another big problem. The shifter on a M-22 is way back and would be behind the seat, so that won’t fly. The T-56 has several places that the shifter can go into so that looks to be the way to go as of now any way. Still waiting on the info on that. The original five speed trans with the off set shifter would be good to find, if it will fit the new stronger transmissions and the mounting can go up far enough to work. I think it will work with out the off set if I can get the shifter far enough forward. I have seen the stock set up when I worked for Chevy dealerships but that was a long time ago and I don’t remember just how far from the rear of the engine the shifter was. So I am going by what seems to feel and look right in mine. I think that will be the best way to do it any way. I have several pictures from here and that other site but no measurement yet. Still looking for that, though not a real big deal. I hope that the company will get back to me soon so I can decide what to do next.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

danot
I am merely driving my van

Post by danot »

Just to let you know if I can be of any help I just saw this post now. My astro is a 1989 5 speed i can take pics for you if you need.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thank you for the offer. If you can a picture or two it would be of great help from, the top if possible. Showing the shifter location. Also how far from the bell housing is the shifter? I know it is 8 inches from the middle, with that stand off, but I haven't found how far back it is. Maybe also from the back of the engine since not all bellhousings are the same. All the books I have do not have any measurements. Since I messed up my shoulder this is a slow go thing as you can tell from nothing here for some time, but I still plan on doing it. The brochure I got From Tremec is nice but not one thing on where it is located, only that you can move it around. Hate to spend a small fortune and find out it just isn't what I had thought. The guy backed out on buying my M-22 so I still may go with it if nothing else is close. I have had it in place and the shifter is too far back but a little bit of a bend might do on getting the shifter closer. Thanks again for the offer.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You tha man Larry. Hope this all works out. Would love to see this done if the shoulder allows. Good luck my friend. Wish I was closer,,would love to get in on this mod.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Rebel with all you have done to your van the little I am doing on mine would bore you, especially how slow it is going. Thanks for the thought though. Little by little. Darn shoulder is really holding me back. I thought my back was bad, you never really know how much you use your arm until it is messed up. It would help a lot if the people that sell the stuff would believe you are really doing this to an Astro van. First thing I hear is "You are doing what to a what?" They just don't believe me, so it seems any way, and all they sent was a brochure. I have that info I want measurements. So I will call again and see if I can get in touch with some one that is a real car guy not just a so called salesman. In time this will work one way or another.

danot

Post by danot »

Seeing that you have a 1989 too our locations should be the same looking towards the front coming off the side of the drivers seat base 2 3/4'' to 8'' and from the body line on the floor 4'' back from front to 8''.
I took photos I posted them here let me know if you need anything else. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... Id=3630004

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks Danot. That will help and the pictures are good ones. Now to figure out the placement of the shifter on the trans itself. Should be able to from this and what I have.
Thanks again, Larry / Merlin

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Danot, I agree with Larry, those are some great photos you took.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

danot

Post by danot »

If you guys want/need specifics let me know. Glad I can help!

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

not a mechanic myself, just barely mechanically inclined.... as for the room... I find it tight with just the brake and gas pedal, especially in winter with my boots on and everything all wet and slick. And never really cared to do the work of the transmission, but can understand while others might like it.... but thought instead of clutch pedal, would it be better with a hand clutch of some kind on the shifter (just thinking outside/under or beside a box...... :yikes:
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

or better yet :-k , move the emergency brake, freeing up a little more space and install the clutch as far left as possible, as for the emergency brake, many vehicles had a lever between the seats, which I kind of prefer to a foot pedal and brake release.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

It will be a little tight but since I don't have to worry about boots, it doesn't drop that white stuff where I am, and I don't think it will be that bad. I drove a few of these back when I was a tech at Chevy stores and it wasn't bad just a little tight. Still working on getting this going but slowly. Family matters get in the way not to mention my own med problems. I have been trying to get an answer from two different companies that sell the trans, I think I want and all they seem to send me is the same brochure that really tells nothing. When I wrote them I got no answer. Tried calling them and got put on hold twice and then disconnected. I guess they don't think any one really wants to do this to a van. Going today to a J.Y. that has this trans in a car. Going to measure all and maybe even buy it, if I can get it cheap enough, and see what is what when it is in place. I know it will have to be rebuilt but that is a given on a used trans that wasn't meant to be behind a Chevy V-8.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Went to the J.Y. and took a close look at that tranny. Not good there was a large crack in the side of it, but got a few small things off of a couple of Astro vans that I wanted. Still looking for more, like most of us here. Not great pickings here in Ventura area as of late. The J.Y. didn’t want me to cut the floor up to get the mounts I want to change the seating around. Don’t understand that since they are going to crush the dang things any way. I will find some one-day. They felt the same way about a couple of car doors that I wanted some pieces off of and would have to cut out. The doors are smashed so why? Strange people there. Found some of the little stuff for the pedal that I didn’t have waiting on them to be shipped. So I almost have all of that to mount up. On it goes slow but sure.

SS Astro

Post by SS Astro »

Merlin, it's Jim in Florida. We talked about 6-speed Astro swaps back in the spring.

I'm finally getting around to doing my swap. It will be an LT1 stroker, and I'll be going with the 6-speed T56 with of the alternate shifter locations toward the front. The Camaro/Firebird bellhousing, clutch and slave cylinder all should work together here, just as they did on the source car--assuming I don't discover some strange clearance issues.

I'd already figured on modifying the emergency brake pedal to provide more foot room, and then adapting clutch hardware from a non-Astro application. I don't have the mounting bosses in my floor of my van like the earlier Astro vans had, so there's no need to find the original pedal assembly. While I'm at it, I'll move the pedal to the left a little if possible.

I'll keep you posted with my progress, as things evolve. It should really start to come together about February. Let me know how your project is coming along, OK?

Best regards--Jim
Jim f/k/a SS Astro
Windermere, Florida
1992 Astro LT L98 Tune Port 350

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Good luck. I am still held down with my shoulder so nothing much as happened for a while. I think you have a good choice in trannies there as that is the one I was thinking of. My van doesn’t have the mounts for the pedals either but I am making something I think will work from pictures I have got from here and other sites. Shouldn’t be too hard to make up. That and you should reinforce the dash/firewall too as the ones that I have seen with a manual are done that way. It is only a small piece of metal but I think it is necessary. If not the floor may bend over time right by the clutch pedal even though it is a hydraulic set up. I hope to have the engine and trans in by early summer but my shoulder and back, really bad even after 6 surgeries, will slow me down. It will happen but slowly. It is frustrating but such is life. I’ll be watching for your updates, good luck.