What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by Smiliesafari »

Not in the van, yet. But, I scored a great deal on a set of iron vortec heads for my V8. Fresh out of the machine shop: $150 for the pair. And even better.....the seller lives about 6 miles from me. Craigslist comes through again. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

This was a weekend of mostly Fail.

Grumpy
Since it was suggested that the intake manifold was the problem I started prepping Grumpy for the replacement. Pulled something in my left shoulder trying to break the fan clutch loose from the water pump. Two hours in, I finally got it removed after returning home to get the BFP for leverage. Of course the radiator drain does not work, so I undid the lower hose clamp on the water pump and drain it that way.

At this point I remembered that I didn't perform the check to verify that the intake manifold gasket is leaking. Reconnect the lower hose, fill radiator with water, start engine. Go back and forth between carb cleaner and propane trying to get the engine to react. Nothing, nada, zip, not a dang thing.

Since this is something I've never done before, I decide I need to visit the guy that suggested this being the solution to Grumpy's problem. I put Grumpy back together enough to drive to AdvanceAuto, where Moe did the same tests. His results were the same and he suggested trying compression leak down testing, which Advance of course does not have in their loaner tool collection or even have in stock for sale. Calling other parts stores gave the same results.

While at Advance Moe noticed Grumpy's slow start and ran a battery test. Only 440 CCA, amazing it started at all.

I returned to the garage and worked on flushing the coolant, since the stuff that was in there was pretty nasty looking. After several fill, run, and drains the coolant was mostly clear, but it was getting late so I called it a night.

On Sunday I pulled the battery, stopped by AutoZone to see if they would work with me on the battery since it was just over two years old. They wouldn't do anything, mostly since I wasn't the original purchaser. Oh well, I guess Wallyworld will get my business.

Battery resolved, I added fresh undiluted antifreeze hoping the ratio is good as I didn't have a way to check at the time.

Last thing for the weekend was supposed to be flushing the brake lines, but snapping the first bleeder valve put an end to that idea.

Green
Received a new battery as well, luckily I had purchased it and it was still under its 3 year guarantee.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Checked tire pressure, checked fluid level in the front diff, checked and added coolant. Drove it around, trying to get it to go closed loop, but it's just too cold out.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

Drove 80 klm's east & back to pick up a 1970 Cub Cadet Garden Tractor I just aqquired.
850 lbs with snowplow attached.Put ramps down & drove it right inside the cargo.
Just barely fit,It had a 1/16" to spare :yikes:
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

gave it a snow mohawk...scooped off snow on the sides of the roof, but didn't have a ladder or broom handy to reach the center...

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I've driven mine to work on snow the past 2 days, and have learned that even with AWD, worn out 235/60 tires are no fun on snow. I can get going fairly well, but can't stop or turn, and the rear end fishtails way too easy (empty van, no seats, anything), and when it starts into a skid, it's a handful.

I still love snow and my van.

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Fought with it starting this morning, cleaned some grounds, did some donuts in an un-plowed parking lot, finished with helping a friend move.
Aaron

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Looked undeneath and noticed anti-freeze making a puddle under the engine. Discovered it leaking from the water pump....looks like I'll be putting a new pump in on Saturday.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

9dawgs wrote:Looked undeneath and noticed anti-freeze making a puddle under the engine. Discovered it leaking from the water pump....looks like I'll be putting a new pump in on Saturday.
Might just be a bad gasket.
Aaron

slim724
I get chills without my van.

Post by slim724 »

Finally got the composite headlight swap done, went with chevy style grill, since the gmc style are virtually nonexistent, it went beautifully with no hiccups, as long as you have all the parts, took lots of pics especially of the wiring, since there is little pics/info on that part, I plan to post a full tutorial someday when I have time
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

After about a year and a bit, I finally got a chance to clean it out.
A few rotten apples, some tupperware with undescibable contents, a ball of dog hair about 2 feet around and everything just covered in slobber. :vom:
It's Kabey's van, the rolling dog house, but he let's me drive it. :dunce:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Today I removed the driver's power window regulator and took the motor apart to figure out why it stopped working yesterday. I found the problem to be a broken tooth on the large plastic driven gear in the housing. I guess I can't complain; that was the original motor and it lasted almost 23 years.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

Started van up - first time in 2 weeks - winter break is over - getting ready to go back to work on Monday. :yikes:

Wife works 2 weeks and reties 1/15/10 :bounce:

Only 30 months to go for me :cry:
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Drooler wrote:Wife works 2 weeks and reties 1/15/10 :bounce:

Only 30 months to go for me :cry:
then what drooler, moving to Florida? oh... wait... never mind .. LOL :yawinkle:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

My long New Year's Weekend to current.

New Year's Eve: Spent most the day repairing a friends garage door and opener, then loaded Grumpy with remodeling refuse and hauled it to the dump. Somehow managed to snag Grumpy's bumper cover on the garage door and pulled it off. Looks like it should go back on ok though.

New Year's Day: Brought Green over to my friend's garage. The lower oil cooler line lost its retention clip as I backed it in, resulting in a major oil spill. Worked on removing the trans. Was trying to lower it using ratchet straps then I noticed that the edge of the oil pan was cutting through one of my straps. It was already late by this point so I placed a jack under the trans and called it a night.

Saturday: Broke down and rented a trans jack. Finished removing the trans and loaded it into Grumpy. Drove 200 miles round trip to drop it off at Shift Rite Transmissions.

Monday Night: Noticed Grumpy was leaking coolant.

Tuesday: Discovered I hadn't closed Grumpy's radiator drain valve all the way.

Today: Received a call from Shift Rite, Green's trans is ready for pick up.
Aaron