awd strang clunk clunk clunk sound

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
Nash
I am merely driving my van

awd strang clunk clunk clunk sound

Post by Nash »

hi i have a astro awd van its a 95 and for about 2 moths now when i go to speed up or i hit a small bump i get this clunk clunk clunk clunk noise from the front right tire or somewhere in that area it feels like a wobble or something out of balance, also on my right halfshaft the boot furthest from the tire is split its been like that for 4 months or so and i plan to fix it before the weeks end but could that be causing the noise and make it go out of balance or to totally diff things ? also i noticed the counter wieght is missing from the front right tire could this cause it i was told no but the source wasent the best. thanks Ryan. :-k

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: awd strang clunk clunk clunk sound

Post by astrozam »

You may possibly have swaybar end link that is broken, My 95 isn't an awd but I believe they both have this same set-up, you'll have to have a look under, you can't miss it if they are broken, the good thing is that if this is the problem they are a cheap and relatively quick fix.

Check this link out... http://www.astrosafarivans.com/tech/thu ... hp?album=8

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If the boot is torn and all the grease has spun out of the CV half shaft, the joint is probably shot and will make noises and vibrate.

If you lost a wheel weight, you will notice a vibration at highway speeds but nothing at low speeds.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Agreed. I'd bet the CV half shaft is shot.

If the CV was good, I would have said possible blown shock on that side. Grumpy rattled over bumps after the one front shock puked its oil.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thanks for the replys this site is great, but i went out and took the tire off grabed the roter and pulled and pushed it back and forth i noticed the steering rods that turn the wheels left to right at the end where there is a nipple to put greeses in has alot of movement and play i think that might be the problem, i not sure but would that be the tie rod ends? the play is on the right side right where its mounted to the frame seems almost like there should be a rubber gasket where the play is. but i did repack the cv joint with greese till i can get it to the shop soon but i do luv my asrto van.

clarkperez2334

Post by clarkperez2334 »

Originally posted by: Nash
Thanks for the replys this site is great, but i went out and took the tire off grabed the roter and pulled and pushed it back and forth i noticed the steering rods that turn the wheels left to right at the end where there is a nipple to put greeses in has alot of movement and play i think that might be the problem, i not sure but would that be the tie rod ends? the play is on the right side right where its mounted to the frame seems almost like there should be a rubber gasket where the play is. but i did repack the cv joint with greese till i can get it to the shop soon but i do luv my asrto van.
Well, to determine if you have a bad tie-rod ends: jack the affected side up so the wheel is off the ground(if possible). place your hands at the three o'clock and nine o'clock positions of the wheel, then wiggle it. If there is play, you will need to replace your tie rod end.

I did this, when i had a bad tie rod ends, and then replaced it with A1 Cardone Tie Rod End. Since then, I can easily steer my car to the right direction :D
Last edited by clarkperez2334 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Nash wrote:Thanks for the replys this site is great, but i went out and took the tire off grabed the roter and pulled and pushed it back and forth i noticed the steering rods that turn the wheels left to right at the end where there is a nipple to put greeses in has alot of movement and play i think that might be the problem, i not sure but would that be the tie rod ends? the play is on the right side right where its mounted to the frame seems almost like there should be a rubber gasket where the play is. but i did repack the cv joint with greese till i can get it to the shop soon but i do luv my asrto van.
You are probably facing a slew of worn out steering parts including the idler arms. I'd reach around to the axle shaft and see if it has any play in it. With a busted boot, my guess is the axle shaft is shot and due replacement.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!