Radiator Support Panel Bushings

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Radiator Support Panel Bushings

Post by Grover »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone here has had to take out the radiator support panel bushing that is attached to the frame? Had to cut the rotted support to get it out, but getting the rusted on bolts off is turning out to be a challenge.. any ideas? We tried the sawsall approach, all that did was liquify the rubber and plug it up again. Thanks #-o

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Radiator Support Panel Bushings

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Use a hole-saw and drill a hole into the rad support so you can get to the nuts.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Post by Grover »

Thanks.. I guess I should have clarified.. the entire bottom of the rad support was completely rotted. Ended up taking a grinder to cut a big hole in the rad support to expose the nut. Tried grinding it off. If I had a decent torch this would be a breeze.

My question is when I get the donor support panel, am I gonna have to cut a hole in that as well to put a nut on the bolt? I sure hope not.

Unfortunately the van is out of town at a buddy's shop and I never thought to bring my digital camera. Pics will be coming soon.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Where do you live that your rad support is soo rusty? > coming from a sunny year round climate guy.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Post by Grover »

I am in Southern Ontario Canada where it's cold 8 months of the year. Salt is used on the roads up here when it snows.. I went to the local boneyard today picking up some headlight pots and for the hell of it I looked in all the Astro/Safari vans they had... every single one of them except for a 2003 model all had the same problem.. completely shot radiator support panels. You'd think GM would be proactive and using galvanized steel or something.