daylights

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
icelandic-astro
I am merely driving my van

daylights

Post by icelandic-astro »

i want to have no lights on the 1rst position on the lightsvich, then oufcourse parking lights in 2 and normal running lights in 3rd, is there some plug to unplug to get rid of this problem? with many thanks

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: daylights

Post by astrozam »

What year is you're van? are you trying to get rid of the daytime running lights?

Topic author
icelandic-astro

Post by icelandic-astro »

my car is 98awd, yes i want to have the fyrst position on the light svich off, then middle park light and the 3rd the lights

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

I've got a 95 and apparently our lights are set up a little differently. I'm sure someone with the 96 up style dash will be able to add some info soon.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There is a fuse for the daytime running lights (DRL). I think it is under the hood in the fuse box there. I pulled it on my 98 a long time ago.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i thought the drls didnt start till 2000, i dont believe my 99 has them and its an SLT which would lead me to believe it would if it should...maybe my fuse is just bad though, i know my moms 00 has a little light sensor in the defrost vent that my 99 does not and i always thought thats what it was for. either way i am glad mine dont work if im supposed to have them.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

In canada we have had manditory day time running lights since 91 although alot of 1990 cars had them as they new the law was comming in. I had heard a rumour that you could shut the DRL off if you hit the override button 4 times quickly. Either that or put the Ebrake on one click and that will shut the lights off.

All that being said it is a huge saftey factor to have day time running lights turned on. So why someone would want to turn them off is beyond me. I personally think it about as smart as trying to save weight by removing the seat belts.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:There is a fuse for the daytime running lights (DRL). I think it is under the hood in the fuse box there. I pulled it on my 98 a long time ago.
Interesting. I always wondered why there was a DRL light on in the dash but no DRL outside.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I pulled the fuse back when we were wheeling so the guy ahead didn't have to see lights in his mirrors.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

On a '98 van there is a DRL fuse (fuse 15) in the IP fuse box that is the power supply to the DRL resistor diode. As mentioned, pulling this fuse will kill the DRLs.
Kidhauler wrote: I personally think it about as smart as trying to save weight by removing the seat belts.
LOL :supz: Nice!!
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Kidhauler wrote:All that being said it is a huge saftey factor to have day time running lights turned on. So why someone would want to turn them off is beyond me. I personally think it about as smart as trying to save weight by removing the seat belts.
You see, in the darkness of the great white North, you guys NEED the gov't to let you be safe. Down here in the States, we are smart enough to not NEED headlights during the daylight hours. :poke:

What's odd here is that GM is the only manufacturer who does DRL's. And what is also odd is that Lynne's Nitro has dash lights on if the key is on...that can screw you up when it's still light enough to see but not light enough for anyone to see you! ](*,)
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
Kidhauler wrote:All that being said it is a huge saftey factor to have day time running lights turned on. So why someone would want to turn them off is beyond me. I personally think it about as smart as trying to save weight by removing the seat belts.
You see, in the darkness of the great white North, you guys NEED the gov't to let you be safe. Down here in the States, we are smart enough to not NEED headlights during the daylight hours. :poke:

What's odd here is that GM is the only manufacturer who does DRL's. And what is also odd is that Lynne's Nitro has dash lights on if the key is on...that can screw you up when it's still light enough to see but not light enough for anyone to see you! ](*,)
I agree about the dash lights. They should come on with the headlamps, not even with the parking lamps IMO for this reason. I've been guilty of driving with parking lights only in town because of this.

I don't know about where you live, but I run headlamps here unless it is really bright and sunny due to the large amout of UN-smart people in my area.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

if a driver is too stupid or occupied to see a oncoming vehicle in broad daylight, i don't think DRLs are gonna help much...
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

Ah, but then you must be a dyed-n-the-wool Republican, 'cause you know the majority of the taxpayers are ignorant! :swords:
jk GM did it so that they would lessen the content proliferation, it was easier to make all of the electrical systems compliant with the Canadian standards than it was to make specific harnesses for US and Canadian content vehicles. There are actually a fair amount of DRL cars running around now, even some of the later Fords have them. Now you know some more useless information about GM from a former GM engineer!
:D
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

My favorite DRLs are the ones that light up the front signal lamps brightly. The 2004 Venture that I drive at work has them.