Fiberglass repair on a rad support?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Fiberglass repair on a rad support?

Post by Grover »

I'm somewhat regretting taking a look under Grover 2 weeks ago and discovering the rad support was shot. :-s

Turns out the donor support has a bit more rust holes than I saw in the bone yard... the guy I hired to weld it back in place did the best he could with the equipment he had, he was able to patch most of the holes up but I guess the bottom of the support was too weak for his heavy duty welder.. so I had to take the support to another welder who has more equipment and can do the job better.

Which leads me to a question.. the holes that are there will not be easily seen when everything is put back together, I wanna do this right the first time while it's out.. welder #2 made the suggestion doing a fiberglass repair on the bottom.. would that be feasible?

Thanks! :peep:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Fiberglass repair on a rad support?

Post by Smiliesafari »

If the metal work is done correctly there should be no need to do any fiberglass. I'd coat everything with POR 15 before I put it back together. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

If you're worried about strength, welding in steel is the way to go. I don't think the fiberglass would add much integrity unless several layers are used. If you just want to pass inspection, filling the core with spray foam, trimming the edges smooth and spraying with undercoating works to hide problems and may be just as strong as a thin layer of fiberglass. I've seen rockers fixed this way for inspection. I've also seen duct tape sprayed with undercoating too, but thats really crumby.
Did you know that a brand new core support is only $138.79 at Rock Auto? SHERMAN Part # 99953 {#15027159, GM1225251}

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Post by Grover »

Thanks rlsllc!! :cheers: Why the hell didn't I think of that? I used the spray foam trick on a Buick I had to pass safety.. mechanic told me as long there was no holes on the body that was his main concern.

I'm in Ontario Canada.. the shipping to get that new panel up here would be just about as much as a brand new one here at the GM dealership... the used one cost me $100.

The donor part is gonna get sprayed with flat black anti rust paint along the bottom.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Easy to get around the body holes in ON. Mechanics used to poke at heavy rust with a screw driver till a few got sued. So now it's a visual inspection. Duct tape and spray paint will make body work pass 99% of the time. Unless it's a huge obvious duct tape job then it will still fail.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Post by Grover »

That's a new one on me.. never heard about mechanics getting sued for using a screwdriver to check for holes.. I do remember years ago my mechanic used to do that to any car I thought about buying. Thanks for the info though! :cheers:

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Might be a dumb question......what does the rad support have to do with safety checks???.Don't know living in the U.S.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Grover
I am smitten with my van

Post by Grover »

Well up here in Ontario there can be no perforation of any critical body support panel on a vehicle and the radiator support panel is considered a major structural component, if it's swiss cheese then the vehicle fails safety.

This defect wasn't noted on the safety inspection list, I only noticed it because it was on the hoist and I happened to see it, asked my mechanic about it, he said it's gotta be fixed before he'll issue the certificate.

If the frame is rotted out, if the rad support is gone, if the floors are rotted out the car fails. Heck up here the engine and tranny don't need to work but by gawd if there is one tiny hole in the body it fails. :rock: