Low volts.... sometimes?

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Low volts.... sometimes?

Post by astroturf »

slim724 wrote:Had the alternator tested at a shop and results came back as charging system malfunction, excess ripple detected. I think that translates to bad stator or diodes, also with some google research on that diagnosis, it said to check alternator bracket and belts, which I did and threw on a new tensioner which it needed anyways, and a new idler pulley, started it up and van seems to run quieter and idle smoother, but after warmup the volts dipped low again, so it appears that I am now in the market for new alternator, at a local shop I can get a no-name 100 amp lifetime warranty alt for about $100, or AC Delco reman. 105amp with no warranty for about $250, seems a bit high to me? My current alt is a Delphi 105 amp and I'd like to find another one AC or Delphi for around $200, is that a decent price for these units?
Why not just pull one from the Junk Yard. With cash for clunkers their are plenty of good parts there. Jim

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

Post by slim724 »

For major electrical components, I prefer to buy new if my wallet permits it, replacing the alternator is something I don't want to have to do again for as long as possible. Now if this was my only vehicle I probably would have had to go that route, because I'm pretty broke right now
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Looking at possibly getting an alternator from this place: http://store.alternatorparts.com/ad244- ... nator.aspx

anybody have any experience with their products? I figured I'd go with a 140amp since my radio clock dims a little when I have music loud, stock radio with aftermarket speakers
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Update: well I wanted the 140 amp but found a 105 amp off craigslist for $50, Seeing as how I was just informed by my wife that she's pregnant again, I thought it was a good idea to start saving a couple dollars like right now! guy I got it from was told he needed it for his suburban, turned out to be his radio was the problem, he sold the suburban a year ago and still had the alternator, it is a brand new reman Delphi unit same as the original one I had on my van, I was surprised that the exact the same alternator used for a suburban with a 454 and rear air, is the same one used on our vans! Anyways got the old one out and the bearings were bad, so all in all I replaced idler pulley, tensioner and alternator, my dash gauge was pegged at 14 like normal and van ran sweet for a day, then the next morning I got a chirp that soon turned into a squeal, that got so loud I turned it off fearing the alternator was somehow not aligned the same as the original and that maybe I required a larger belt, then I remebered I had a can of belt dressing so I started the van, sprayed some on the tensioner pulley and the howling went away for a minute but slowly came back, so I doused it good and drove to my local auto store and bought a new Gates belt even though I had a perfectly good Goodyear Gatorback on there at the time, I just didn't know what else to try. I removed the old belt, cleaned all the pulleys with brake cleaner a towel and wire brush because the belt dressing made everything a huge sticky mess, got the new belt on, started it, and to my shock and amazement it was super quiet! So my advice to anyone who replaces that many pulleys is to splurge on a new belt. Also, the van now runs super quiet and scary smooth, like a Cadillac, hell even my wife noticed when she drove it and that's saying a lot! I did the throttle plate mod while I had everything off, and it is just super smooth and a tad more power, or it shifts better?? Don't know but I like it
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Sorry it's a little late, but I have used that company you mentioned. I can't remember if it was the alternator for my van, or the starter rebuild kit for my wife's Infiniti that I bought from them. Either way I was a happy customer, just in case you consider buying from them in the future I give them two thumbs up.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

Throttle plate mod ? I just read all the posts but whats the throttle plate modification ? I'll check in other topic cat.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Throttle plate mod = removing the crescent shaped restrictor. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle