Offroad tool kit - revisited

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Offroad tool kit - revisited

Post by Herbie »

So I was revisiting the question of how to pack up my tools when I get to wheeling (very soon now), and went back over the first thread on the subject here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1881&hilit=tools

I was wondering if anyone has a better break down of what tools are needed for the common tasks on the vans?

I like the 100/150/200/brazillion-piece sets in the blow-molded cases, but beyond a certain point I'm sure I'm carrying tools I wouldn't be able to use and just lugging extra weight.

In my Subaru, I got away with a small tool roll with a very limited selection of ratcheting combo wrenches, a few sockets, and a pair of drive handles - all metric plus some pliers. (In addition to the tools that were included with the vehicle.) If I needed anything bigger than what I was carrying, it wasn't a job I could handle away from the shop anyway.

If I wanted to go similarly ultra-minimalist, what could I get away with? In the other thread Astrozam indicated that the vans are mixed metric/SAE. I haven't done much wrenching on them yet aside from a few simple jobs, so I can't confirm. What parts are SAE?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Offroad tool kit - revisited

Post by Smiliesafari »

Herbie, your 2003 is all metric. When Cherie and I travel I carry everything that will accomplish the relatively small jobs. If you have a major failure you won't be able to do the repair in the field. Major repair jobs usually require specialty tools of some sort. Take a good look at your van and make a list of the things that you think you can repair in the field. Then make a list of the tools that are required and a list of some common sense items. Most of the time you'll do just fine. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Offroad tool kit - revisited

Post by astrozam »

I honestly don't remember which parts were imperial on my 95, most are probably metric but I know that I needed the imperial stuff enough over the years that it warranted having it along with me just in case.