Sun/moon roofs

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

Sun/moon roofs

Post by slim724 »

Was there ever a sun/moon roof option on the 96+ vans?? I was just wondering, and would be very jealous of anyone who has one
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

Logan
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Sun/moon roofs

Post by Logan »

Nope, not an option that I'm aware of. Although, I've seen a few installed on these vans. The main issue is the ribbed roof and either smashing those ribs or using enough butyl tape/sealant to keep it from leaking. It can be done, but it usually looks kinda messy. I have heard of one body guy reskinning the roof to install a vinyl Volkswagen sliding roof. But that's a lot of work. =D>
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

sun roofs were never an option on these vans. all custom jobs if you've seen one. lots of sliding rag tops done as well. was a popular mod in the 90's.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Anyone have a rough estimate on what it would cost? The requirement would be that it doesn't leak, Dont care much on how it looks on the outside seeing as I look at the rooftop like never
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

should be in the neighborhood of $1500....give or take. that's usually for vehicles with a flat roof. and that's the slider. i'm sure it can be done somehow with the humps in the roof. just go to your local auto customizing shop or upholstery shop and they'll be able to tell you exact cost. good luck.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

if push came to shove a true body man could make it properly work. but it would probably require paint and be much more than $1500 if it is a newer van that you plan on keeping for a while might be worth getting it done right. if i were doing it i would get a doner van cut out the flat spot thats on the rear of the roof, right by the third brake light on newer vans, nicely fiqure out where to place it so that it can be welded in and blend properly and then make my cutout in that piece. little bit labor involved and definitely requires more skill than the average sunfroof installer has but for a body man it would be an easy project and they will make damn sure it doesnt leak.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

Well I have a buddy who owns 2 body shops but it looks like a serious undertaking that'll cost some bucks. It's definitely on my wish list and not completely out of the realm of possibilites. It would definitely be nice to have a slider during the hot California summers here and would probably smooth out the choppy airflow that only popping out the side windows helps when the front windows are down. I drive with the windows down 99% of the time and find it a bit of a pain to have to manually pop the side windows. Maybe I could rig up some sort of electric poppers for them?? I think newer vehicles have them
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

thats the one thing that always bugged me, even caravans had electric side windows, not to mention the fact mine dont even really stay open anyways because the latches seem to be mounted wrong and dont lock open.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

the ribs are not a big deal. Ive installed many sun/moon roofs in all kinds of vehicles.

you want to get a special vice grip used for sheetmetal work that have a 4 inch wide "duck bill" to compress the roof ridges down. only as far back as the sunroof frame is thick. it works well just have the roof masked good so it doesnt scratch it.

mines an Explorer conversion and they had the Omish woodworkers to build the interiors I didnt want to remove the really nice overhead console to install sunroof in it. otherwise I would have.

I did install an RV roof vent in the rear. I posted some details and photos on here. search "roof vent"

also: some of the higher quality sunroof frames are strong enough to colapse the roof ridges as the inner and outer sections are bolted together. but better to use the vise grips to be sure.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I have a complete sunroof assembly from a 1998 BMW 740 sitting around. That would be a cool custom install. I think I have everything to make it work except the actual switch, but I can get you that too if you need. It would be a big project I think, but this sounds like it's going to be a big project anyway. PM me if you're interested in it.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

This is from a late model Nissan Maxima. The idea of a long single perspex roof could be incorporated between the Astro`s "roof ribs" but it`s gonna take some metal fabrication to get it to seal from the elements.

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc