FREE! throttle plate mod DIY with pics

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

FREE! throttle plate mod DIY with pics

Post by slim724 »

Simple throttle plate mod for newer vans to remove the restrictor plate. Performance gains are subjective, and will be unique to each van. I found an extra throttle plate from junkyard for few dollars to work on in case I screwed something up. I went at it from the interior side, so I removed the doghouse, not sure if you could do it from under the hood, didn't look like it to me. To remove the throttle plate you need to remove front air filter intake, then remove doghouse, then pop off the portion of the air intake mounted on top of the throttle body, and move it out of the way. Now remove the 2 torx screws, mine were size T15, you have to use a stubby driver because there won't be enough room for a normal size driver, be careful not to drop the screws down the throttle throat. I kept a telescoping magnet handy to snag the screws. After you remove the screws, use the linkage on the throttle body side to completely open the throttle, grab the restrictor plate and gently wiggle it until it breaks loose and slides out of the retaining rib. The more carbon build up you have, the harder it will be to wiggle out of the rib. Sorry no pics of the removal procedure, but it sounds worse than it is, once you have the air intake and doghouse off, it literally takes a couple of minutes to remove the plate.

This is a generic pic to show placement of the torx screws on the retaining rib

Once the plate is removed this is what you start with

Tools I used, Dremel and a hand file. The restrictor is made of soft aluminum and you could probably use your wifes gardening snips to cut it off

I fastened it in a vice to hold it while cutting

Then started cutting

Plate removed

Here is the material removed

I then proceeded to clean it up and bevel the aluminum edge with the hand file

I'm really trying to thin it out as much as possible

Finished product

Now all you have to do is re-insert it back into the throttle body, screw it in, put everything back together and your done.
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

unrreal

Re: FREE! throttle plate mod DIY with pics

Post by unrreal »

i have also done this to my van, i did notice a little bit of a difference while accelerating from a stop, but this was back when it was stock...
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

unrreal wrote:i have also done this to my van, i did notice a little bit of a difference while accelerating from a stop, but this was back when it was stock...
Yeah, hard to say exactly what my gains were since I replaced a few other parts at the same time, but the getup does feel better from a stop, and it seems to shift a bit better too. All minor gains for sure but I would definitely rather not have the restrictor plate there
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

slim.. you are the king of tutorials my friend :prayer:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

crash wrote:slim.. you are the king of tutorials my friend :prayer:
No way man, the king is chemist! He got to do all the hard ones like air filter box, fan shroud, alternator, water pump, coil, doghouse, and probably more. I've referred to his tutorials quite a few times while working on my van
ImageImageImage

Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
40,000 miles

JayDubya
I am merely driving my van

Post by JayDubya »

This is intriguing. Does anyone know why the factory installed this 'restrictor'? Cold weather driveability, maybe?
Youth wants to know.
1999 Mark III butcher job with the rare 4.3 V-6 engine

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Ya know Jay, i saw a new hit on this thread and was scrolling down through the pics again and same question came to mind.
The thought came to my mind that perhaps with that baffle on the throttle plate, the air flow keeps the throttle plate from slamming shut when you have to slam on the brakes at high speed. I do just love conversations based on mutual ignorance. They can just carry on forever. So, Age wants to know as well. Where is Lifted or Mr Roboto when you need them? :-k
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

JayDubya

Post by JayDubya »

Well, I know that there has to be some kind of downside to removing it. I'm dying to know what the engineers were thinking.
1999 Mark III butcher job with the rare 4.3 V-6 engine

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

That restrictor was used to slow throttle response. There is no downside. I did this mod several years ago. It does aid in quicker throttle response but you have to remember that our Astro/Safari vans weigh 4000 lbs. And they are only powered by 4.3 V6. Not exactly a hotrod. The real world results of this mod will depend entirely on the overall condition of your engine.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I am here but I am not an engine or trans guy...I do diff's, transfer cases and that sort of thing. :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

well pop my bubble...another of my delusions proven false. :-k
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sorry about popping your bubble. :muhaha: I am good at trans coolers and decent at shift kit installs and on engines I am good at basic maintenance items but no internals.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy