De-oxidizing clear signal lenses DIY with pics

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

De-oxidizing clear signal lenses DIY with pics

Post by slim724 »

I can't stand dull, foggy, yellowed turn lenses. I know they sell kits at auto stores to do this but I'm pretty cheap and will always try to do things myself if possible. I used good old Brasso and a lot of elbow grease to clean up the lenses. I chose to use Brasso because it was in the cupboard, and also because I have a collection of wristwatches and some are older with plastic crystals and I use Brasso all the time to remove scratches and polish the crystals to as new condition, so I thought why not try it on the signal lenses?

It worked pretty well, not as good as buying replacement lenses but much better than their previous condition. It does take a lot of rubbing, just put some on a soft towel and rub in a circular motion until it basically disappears on the lens, do not leave a foggy haze like when you wax a car, just keep rubbing until it disappears, just work one small area at a time, for me it took multiple applications in the same area before it would come clean. I also used those micro bottle brushes that are for baby bottles to get in the hard to reach areas on the backside edges, I'm sure my wife would love to know that! All in all I was pleased with the results, and all it took was some time and a lot of rubbing. I also cleaned up the brake lights too!

The brown residue on the towel is the oxidation removed

Before

After

Before

After

Before and after
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: De-oxidizing clear signal lenses DIY with pics

Post by astrozam »

Nice job slim =D> and thanks for the tips and pics, looks great

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

did that not too long ago myself, i used a standard plastic polish that my dad recommended, i believe it was a mothers product, he uses it on the windshield of his bike but it worked well for this application also. i too used a terry cloth and some elbow grease, in all honesty i dont know if a dremmel or what have you would even get it any better, just might be faster...
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

You don't know how many times I've wondered if what you did would work. Now I know and a big thank you !!! Great post !!

Topic author
slim724

Post by slim724 »

It may be more work and take longer to do, but I prefer to do it by hand, there is a level of detail you can get that I always have a hard time acheiving with power tools. I'm probably just impatient and push too hard or run it too fast
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

I did this to mine today...I really cheated though , I used a power buffer and it took me like 10 minutes !! LOL

JaxSPL

Post by JaxSPL »

I tried something on my 94 Grand Marquis and my mom's 99 Grand Marquis. Using the same method as slim724 except I used Liquid Gold wood cleaner and preservative. It did wonders on the outside of both cars. I wasn't able to do the insides at the time, but will get to them soon.

So that will give you all another alternative to the stuff bought specifically for cleaning light assemblies.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've heard toothpaste does just as well.

hmmm wonder if toothpaste and a power buffer would make my teeth whiter.... :-k
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

kings-x59 wrote:I've heard toothpaste does just as well.

Gee , I hope you got a big mouth....my buffer had an 8 inch pad I think !! LOL ( just kidding)

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

thefrog747 wrote:

Gee , I hope you got a big mouth....my buffer had an 8 inch pad I think !! LOL ( just kidding)
Big teeth too :D
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

kings-x59 wrote:
thefrog747 wrote:

Big teeth too :D
:muhaha: :muhaha: :whistle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words