looking for wiring diagram / schematic

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

looking for wiring diagram / schematic

Post by batmo »

Ive got the haynes manual but the wiring diagram is not very helpful. it doesnt show wire colors or complete circuts.

I'd like to find one for an '86 that shows the complete circuits and wire colors. does anyone know where I might find this? an alternative to the haynes one.

the task at hand right now is determining what wires are main 12v input for power locks, both the positive and negative source.

thanks

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: looking for wiring diagram / schematic

Post by Rebel »

Shoot SafariRob a PM,,,He has the 89 but am sure it would be the same in most cases.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

I need to see the schematic, does the factory manual show complete circuits, or breakdowns? what about wire colors?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You can use a test light to determine positive and negative. And it's a lot easier than trying to cypher wiring schematics. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

image borrowed from .. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ala ... l/452.html

any other scha shcem errr.. diagrams let me know.. i can email them to you LOL
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

Smiliesafari wrote:You can use a test light to determine positive and negative. And it's a lot easier than trying to cypher wiring schematics. \:D/
yes, you can but thats all a test light can tell you.
crash wrote:
image borrowed from .. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ala ... l/452.html

any other scha shcem errr.. diagrams let me know.. i can email them to you LOL
thx crash. the12volt is a good resource too.

problem with electronic diagrams is they dont print well on normal printers. fax's are much worse.

I like to be able to follow a line (wire representative) from end to end, on complicated diagrams you have so many lines so close together you have to use an ice pic to follow them or if you dont mind writing on them a pencil/pen will do.

when its on a computer screen, you lose your place if you have to scroll.

printing one out would span multiple pages then you would have to put it all together and with no overlaps so you would need a very precise printer with no margins.

BTW the haynes manual does list wire colors but I still cant figure out how to put the coded puzzle together for just one circuit.

guess Im just spoiled from using the old italian and japanese diagrams where they have every single wire in the car represented on one diagram.

mazade
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by mazade »

Hello batmo,

I'm sure I posted these wiring diagrams a year+ ago, but I'll relist them here in case they disappeared(or I only posted them to AS.com instead...). Ahh, here we go... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2368
I must apologize, they are in a format that you're likely not wanting... scanned and huge... but purely for the purposes of seeing & understanding EVERY detail. The following folder is inside our(family business) website.... not disappearing any time soon
http://www.iqmetals.com/else/astro/

If you are wanting a particular section(for printing, viewing or otherwise) I'd suggest getting your hands on IrfanView, which is a small, fast and INCREDIBLE image viewing/handling program.
http://irfanview.com/

Get after me if there's any modding you'd like done to these pictures for your specific application... I'm certain I can pull off something.

---------------
Wait a second... are you trying to add aftermarket power door locks to this thing or are you trying to figure out stock door lock stuff???
We added aftermarket to our '86, so the wiring was totally custom, from the battery on in, we just found extra power at the fuse panel and took it from there... did all our own wiring. What's the case with your van?
'86 Astro 99% finished on the modding