questions about two large cables

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

questions about two large cables

Post by kings-x59 »

I've been meaning to ask this for a while:
there is a fairly hefty positive and negative cable to the bottom bolts that hold the glove box on my doghouse.
what in the worlds are these for?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: questions about two large cables

Post by 6spd_monte »

Can you post some pics of them?
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

Post by JaxSPL »

Positive and negative? I doubt they have any electrical going through them. Have you put a meter on them?

6spd_monte, I think he is talking about the 2 straps under the radio area. The go from right below the radio to two threaded rods on each front side of the doghouse. Is this correct, kings-x59? If so, I believe they are nothing but grounding straps mainly used to help hold the doghouse in place. I could be wrong though.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I think you're right. I was thinking the same thing, I just thought if he has something really weird that perhaps a previous owner had installed pics would be good.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

previous owner was my mother, and I can gaurantee she didn't install them. I'll get some pics
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Jax, it never occurred to me to put a meter on them. I assumed they came from the factory.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/k ... g_0266.jpg

I've run the engine with the doghouse off, so they don't appear to have any affect on the engine electrical system.

name's Steve

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Yeah I have those same cables, there is no voltage on them. They're just to hold the engine cover in place. I think the other end is just attached to the dash frame.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

OK, thanks.

name's Steve