opinions on an 03

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
brad
I am merely driving my van

opinions on an 03

Post by brad »

Hi everyone, im looking at buying a 2003 astro. The van has 114kms and is really clean in/out. Price is negotiable but they are asking $12,500(cdn). 2wd model with from what i can tell has most or all options except leather. I've takin the time to read reviews from here and 97-98 sound to be "solid" but any input on an 03 would be great!!!!!

It would be replacing my 95 safari slx. btw

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: opinions on an 03

Post by crash »

seems steep to me (i'm stingy LOL) .. unless this thing looks like it just rolled out of the show room .. or is a full out conversion van or something?

here's an 03 for $5300 with only 30 more kms on it (about a year of driving for some)
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles ... Z192172270

that may not be great, can't say as i haven't seen it... but, shop around...
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The prices seem high to me too but it is funny money. :muhaha: You really have to shop around in your area and see what they go for. Around here in central NY, a 2003 AWD would go for between $5k and $8k in really good shape.

As far as issues with the 2003 - 2005 models, there was nothing out of the ordinary. You may see increased rear brake maintenance due to being disc brakes. You get the 6 lug, 16" wheels which are nice and everything else is the same. If you get AWD, the transfer case needs fresh fluid every 20k - 30k miles but that is pretty cheap overall to do.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
brad

Post by brad »

I'm gonna try to post some pics. The price is steep but its coming from a dealer. personally i would be good with 8-9 but if they arn't willing to budge they can choke on it.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I have an 03 AWD and paid that much for mine 3 years ago with 112 kms on the clock looking like new. $ 6- $ 8k is about what the are worth now in good shape.

In my experience my 03 get worse Fuel economy than the 96, 98, & 99 vans my regular couriers use ( the '96 has 750 thousand kms on the orig drivetrain which has never been opened up and he still gets 16+18 mpg as a city courier vehicle ).

Parts like wheels, tires and brakes are cheaper for the older vans as well. If I were doing it all over again I would have held out for a 2wd model with the 15" wheels

Topic author
brad

Post by brad »

Well as it turns out the 03 astro is the awd model. took it for a drive yesterday and it was.........ok. it was in very good shape in/out. price was negotiated down to 9 from 12.5 but after sleeping on it i think for now instead of putting $$ down on anything i'm gonna save myself a potential headache and spend my $$ on fixing my 95 2wd 197kms. They just last too long for me to jump into a monthly exp. So saturday morn she's going into the spa for some leaf springs struts front and rear, muffler and maybe ball joints or tye rods, dont know which one it has or both but apparently they are done. I'll post how she rides early next week............Thx for the input by all.........Brad

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

thanks for the update.

cool to hear that you are giving the older tried and trusted van some TLC =D>
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Topic author
brad

Post by brad »

Well I got the van back yesterday, really nice smooth ride. Besides the suspension I also got a new muffler and tail pipe. The back rides a little high for now but i'll assume it will settle down. Will be sending her back in soon i think to replace the idler arms and to button up a few loose ends nothing major though. I'm gonna look forward to a camping trip soon, pull the seats out have a solid time. Thx all.

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

I know you didn't get the 03 van but these are the pros and cons of these vans.

Pos. Plenty of power(4.3X engine). The transfer case is electric and runs in RWD till the rear tires slip then kicks in the fronts. The 4 disc breaks are great. I placed an order for a Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and it reads all kinds of info off the ECM. Smooth ride.

Cons. Change the transfer case fluid every 20-30K (MUST!) Rear breaks, The bracket that the caliper and pads slide in will start rusting and pinch the pads. This will cause the pads and caliper to twist and give major premature wear. I've replaced the bracket and used lithium grease where the sliders go to prevent rusting. Front bearings have started failing at 82,000Miles.

All and all, I'm happy with the van. :cheers:
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

e7ats wrote:I've replaced the bracket and used lithium grease where the sliders go to prevent rusting.
I'd strongly suggest using a product more suited to heat effect, lithium is not.

a few specifically for the job
Kleen Flo Eze Slide
http://www.kleenflo.com/en/productpages/331.htm

Raybestos Silicone Brake Lubricant
http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-DBL-2T- ... B0015RCGRM
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

crash wrote: I'd strongly suggest using a product more suited to heat effect, lithium is not.

Kleen Flo Eze Slide
:supz: I like the look of this one.

I like Raybestos brakes but I could not find more info on what you posted.

Just to clarify, I did not use the lithium grease on moving parts. I used it behind the slide insert that fastens to the bracket.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

e7ats wrote:
crash wrote: I'd strongly suggest using a product more suited to heat effect, lithium is not.

Kleen Flo Eze Slide
:supz: I like the look of this one.

I like Raybestos brakes but I could not find more info on what you posted.

Just to clarify, I did not use the lithium grease on moving parts. I used it behind the slide insert that fastens to the bracket.
gotcha.. sorry that i implied that.

the raybestos one is criptic and I'm not sure why, we carry it on the shelf (only for one shop that requested it). I'll ask the rep next time he's in. I'd go with the kleen-flo brand. it's about 1/4 of the price of the raybestos and is what most others use
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT