Adjust Your Mirrors

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

reaper
I sleep in my van

Re: Adjust Your Mirrors

Post by reaper »

Kevin walks backwards too :muhaha:
I set my mirrors for what is comfortable for me,in that case they are set
up opposed the suggested recommendation on the posted link.
I check my mirrors every few seconds while driving.When reversing I use the mirrors
& have learned to trust them.
It's simple,BE AWARE of your surroundings,& what you are doing.
Class 5 here & a 17 year clean driving record.
Did I mention Kevin walks backwards? 8-[
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I heard about this way of adjusting mirrors some time back and gave it a try. No thanks, way too disorienting for me-- I guess I just like seeing a bit of my vehicle in each mirror as a reference point. When I change lanes, or any time I want a bigger picture, I just lean forward slightly and then check the mirrors. I guess it's all in what you get used to.
It's interesting to me that the company I work for has never suggested setting mirrors like this in all the countless driver training videos I've seen in over 30 years of employment. The company's technique is to use the convex side mirrors and also to change the view in the standard side mirrors by leaning forward.
Squid's LaneChangerII mirror looks promising, though. I'm going to check that out further. I don't consider adding that mirror a crutch. If it is one, then I believe it could be argued that all mirrors are crutches. Just my thoughts.
Rislic, I know what you mean. My 82 Olds doesn't have the passenger side mirror, either. It was a bit strange when I first got the car but I reminded myself that when I started driving in 1968 none of the cars I drove had passenger side mirrors.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I read about adjusting mirrors this way in AAA's monthly magazine years ago. I've been using my mirrors this way every since.

Regardless of how you adjust them though, you still need to look over your shoulder before changing lanes. It's just the proper way to drive!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

SafariRob wrote:I heard about this way of adjusting mirrors some time back and gave it a try. No thanks, way too disorienting for me-- I guess I just like seeing a bit of my vehicle in each mirror as a reference point. When I change lanes, or any time I want a bigger picture, I just lean forward slightly and then check the mirrors. I guess it's all in what you get used to.
It's interesting to me that the company I work for has never suggested setting mirrors like this in all the countless driver training videos I've seen in over 30 years of employment. The company's technique is to use the convex side mirrors and also to change the view in the standard side mirrors by leaning forward.
Squid's LaneChangerII mirror looks promising, though. I'm going to check that out further. I don't consider adding that mirror a crutch. If it is one, then I believe it could be argued that all mirrors are crutches. Just my thoughts.
Rislic, I know what you mean. My 82 Olds doesn't have the passenger side mirror, either. It was a bit strange when I first got the car but I reminded myself that when I started driving in 1968 none of the cars I drove had passenger side mirrors.
I do lean forward, and even move side to side a bit to get the most out of my mirrors. I guess I didn't think about it until you posted it. I also have to see a sliver of the van in the very edge of the mirror for referance.

I'd like to see someone back a trailer with that mirror set up. Maybe i'd get a surprise and they'd do quite well. I haven't had much practice lately, but I used to be able to back a trailer about as well as pulling it forward.

That no mirror on the right side thing is a hoot. If it wasn't for the fact that I hardly ever drive it in traffic, I'd prolly get one for it. I'm just not used to using the center mirror.

It would be cool to have one of those big lane changer mirrors or a panoramic in a convertable. Otherwise, I'd think you'd just be seeing all kinds of the interior of your vehicle, but I'm guessing since I've no experience with one.

I got my licence 20 years after you, in 1988. Most cars then had right mirrors, but I do remember adding a non-matching one on my 1982 Malibu.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

mdmead wrote:Regardless of how you adjust them though, you still need to look over your shoulder before changing lanes. It's just the proper way to drive!
Try it in a windowless cargo van or a dump truck. You can't see anything.

Looking over your shoulder is really unnecessary if your mirrors are set right and you know how to use them. It also takes your eyes completely off of the road in front of you.

This does not apply to vehicles with crumby mirrors, though. I do look behind me when I'm on my bike only because the mirrors are so small and the field of vision is very limited.

There is nothing wrong with looking over your shoulder if that's how you're used to driving. I'm just not in the habit and do fine with just mirrors.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I don't care how well your mirrors are adjusted... you are a fool if you don't turn your head too.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I use a combination of the van's mirrors with the convex mirrors stuck on them. Not really by choice, but that's the way my Dad had the van set up when I learned to drive in it, and when my parents gave the van to me I didn't change it. Since I learned that way it works for me - in that vehicle. None of my other cars have the convex mirrors. My Monte Carlo does not have a mirror on the right door, and my Chevelle doesn't have a mirror on either door! I do a lot of head turning in that car.
I think the best system is whatever the driver feels most comfortable with, be it perfectly adjusted mirrors or neck exercises. As long as we see the other car that's what counts most.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Man, this is almost as contentious as a discussion about what's the best oil and oil filter :swords:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

kings-x59 wrote:Man, this is almost as contentious as a discussion about what's the best oil and oil filter :swords:
I like AMSOIL... Jim :swords:

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I can back up as fast as driving forward with a trailer and trust me you couln't back up with your mirrors adjusted so you can't see the trailer. The problem is with the mirrors set that wide you can't see the trailer so you need to be turning all the time to see your trailer. If your turning like that you can't go faster than a crawl backwards or you will jack knife the unit.

I love the looks from other people when they hear my wife asking me to move the trailer 2-3 inches one way or the other in the campground to get it level. Most people are doing good to get it in the parking spot by the end of the day. you also get some neat looks from other Class 1 drivers when they hear you changing gears up into high range reverse with your foot firmly on the floor boards.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

astroturf wrote:
kings-x59 wrote:Man, this is almost as contentious as a discussion about what's the best oil and oil filter :swords:
lmao :muhaha: touche'
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

astroturf wrote:
LOL. I like clean, fresh oil, and keeping the brand/weight consistant.
:cheers:
Tangent.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Kidhauler wrote:I drive Class 1 all day backwards at my work. I am so used to backing up with the mirrors if I have any distance at all to back up I use the mirrors. Parking the car I will look out the back window but to line up and make sure I am straight in the spot I use the mirrors. If you keep a check on your mirrors every 5-8 seconds no one should be able to sneak up on you.

Yes sir! I agree ... I drive like I am on a racetrack ... either I learn to hear the vehicles or I see the vehicles by spot checking often.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

mdmead wrote:I don't care how well your mirrors are adjusted... you are a fool if you don't turn your head too.
+1

Several hundred years ago, when I learned to drive, I learned the arcronym
SMOG - Signal Mirrors Over-the-shoulder Go

Even if I didn't think that turning my head was a good practice,
I can see my blind quarters by moving my head an inch forward,
with the mirrors in the "old school" position.

The $2 convex stick on mirrors allow me to see to just about
90 degrees to the right or left.

It appears that anyone who has ever driven a large truck has a different kind of
appreciation/understanding for outside rear view mirrors and where they
should be set.

In my girlfriend's Grand Am, looking over your shoulder is useless.
You can't see a thing for the roof pillars in the way. Seems that car
at least (lots of newer cars?) encourage laziness by designing a
car that you can't see out of, except for the mirrors. I guess that
makes it a lot easier for the "driver" to fiddle with their iPod, send
text messages, put on makeup etc.

Me? I'm looking with my own two ojos!

Lumpy
www.n0eq.com

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Lumpy wrote:
mdmead wrote:I don't care how well your mirrors are adjusted... you are a fool if you don't turn your head too.
+1

Several hundred years ago, when I learned to drive, I learned the arcronym
SMOG - Signal Mirrors Over-the-shoulder Go

Even if I didn't think that turning my head was a good practice,
I can see my blind quarters by moving my head an inch forward,
with the mirrors in the "old school" position.

The $2 convex stick on mirrors allow me to see to just about
90 degrees to the right or left.

It appears that anyone who has ever driven a large truck has a different kind of
appreciation/understanding for outside rear view mirrors and where they
should be set.

In my girlfriend's Grand Am, looking over your shoulder is useless.
You can't see a thing for the roof pillars in the way. Seems that car
at least (lots of newer cars?) encourage laziness by designing a
car that you can't see out of, except for the mirrors. I guess that
makes it a lot easier for the "driver" to fiddle with their iPod, send
text messages, put on makeup etc.

Me? I'm looking with my own two ojos!

Lumpy
http://www.n0eq.com
I know this is how it is taught in regular driving school for regular passenger vehicles, but....Look over your shoulder in a windowless cargo van and all you see is the inside of the van. Same goes for a dump truck, semi tractor, utility trucks, etc.

Since I drove those kind of vehicles for many years and miles, I got totally out of the habit of ever looking over my shoulder, or even using a center mirror, and as long as I am driving a van or truck with good mirrors, I still don't. I do look out the side windows (does that count???) and lean up and too the side to get the most out of the side mirrors.

I do, howerever, always look over my shoulder in a regular car, truck, or van with small mirrors. I look over my shoulder on my bike, also.
You really need to look over your shoulder in these vehicles, I agree.