Pop out side windows

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Pop out side windows

Post by Mr Singh »

Hey folks, anyone ever tried to permanantly bond the tilting middle side glass panels? I have a really powerfull audio system in excess of 160dB and those side glass panels are moving alot. I put some regular sealant on them and clamped them close, but it only held for a few months. Maybe I should remove them completley and along with the rubber and bond them in as you would a windsheild?

Any tips would be useful!

Thanks
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Pop out side windows

Post by kings-x59 »

I've never done it but...
I'd remove the weather stripping and clean the metal really well with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Then I'd use something like Dow 795 black silicone to wet seal it. The 795 isn't a sealant you can get in your local home depot, it's the stuff they use to seal windows in 60 story office towers. As for a source, dunno where it can be had retail. Short of that, silicone adhesive with the same prep might do it.

[edit] wait. what am I thinking... :dunce: use the same type sealant that is used for windshields.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

To get back to factory fixed glass, and get it right,,you'll need to clean out all adhesive and re-apply. The glass has no rubber seal when installed fixed so you'll need to remove what's in the window for the swing out.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Good advice. I was thinking along the same. Clean up the back of the glass and same with metal on the window flange with some pre-clean, and use the glue (polyurethane) used to bond windshields. Bet that sucker aint coming out in a hurry lol
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

other thoughts: after removing the weather stripping run your finger along there and make sure there are no burrs in the metal. The side windows are tempered glass. If the glass rests against metal, and there is sharp point in there anywhere, vibration is highly likely to drive the point of the burr into the glass, thereby breaking the surface tension and causing the glass to shatter. I suggest putting some small spacers behind the glass with the window closed so a gap exists behind the glass, and a bead of sealant can be tooled in between the glass and metal.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

OK i'll check to see how flat it is. I'm guessing there will be a series of spot welds along the flange but then could be joins where metal sits slightly proud.

I'll take pics while I do it over the next couple of days :)
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I've a better, and less expensive, solution -- TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!

A jet engine at 30 metres puts out a piddly 150 dB. Threshold of pain is at 130 dB and you already have PERMANENT hearing damage. You can NEVER recover lost hearing; it is NOT temporary.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Cap'n...I think he is pumping 160 db in competition only.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

rubberdown
I get chills without my van.

Post by rubberdown »

Mr Singh wrote:Hey folks, anyone ever tried to permanantly bond the tilting middle side glass panels? I have a really powerfull audio system in excess of 160dB and those side glass panels are moving alot. I put some regular sealant on them and clamped them close, but it only held for a few months. Maybe I should remove them completley and along with the rubber and bond them in as you would a windsheild?

Any tips would be useful!

Thanks

Not sure but here's some irony... I was just about to post a question on where to find replacement hinges (outside of a dealership) for those very windows! I'll buy yours if you seal them up!
---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

CaptSquid wrote:I've a better, and less expensive, solution -- TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!

A jet engine at 30 metres puts out a piddly 150 dB. Threshold of pain is at 130 dB and you already have PERMANENT hearing damage. You can NEVER recover lost hearing; it is NOT temporary.
lol. All to aware of the damage. It is purely competition use.

OK, the window turned out to be an easy fix. hinges remain, rubber remains. Got some PU Flex glue from a guy that installs windshields. He ran a bead through a lip on the rubber that moves, he ran a bead over the rubber. Keyed the back of the glass with some special primer and we clamped it back in.

After 24hrs I was shocked how solid it is, theres a tiny about of give which is probably a good thing as it will probably never shatter. It was never an issue of shatter it was more the issue of constraining the flex! The glue is lethal, it sticks like shit to a towel, its not coming off in a hurry.

I'll be testing it out again today so I'll let you all know how it copes, but I dont think its going to bother us again. Next we need to control the doors, they flex out almost 2" :yikes:
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

heh..once you get that bad boy sealed up goodntight one bar too many on the volume will make it blow up like a metal blowfish

name's Steve

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

now you know why people use cargo vans for boom contest trucks.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

Update.

Something broke, BAD. I'll get pics up later, it wasn't the side glass we bonded in something else #-o
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Can't wait to see the destruction pics! :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

CaptSquid wrote:I've a better, and less expensive, solution -- TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!

tell me about it. My ears have been ringing for 34 years. The story started with a 44 mag, and a beer can at the end of the days hunt and ended with...huh? what?

unfortunate thing about advice. It's often given and seldom taken.

name's Steve