New to the van scene...

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
capulet_x
I am smitten with my van

New to the van scene...

Post by capulet_x »

Greeting everyone...
I'm currently living in Los Angeles looking to get back east in the next few years. I just bought a 1987 Astro Van 5-speed to test some ideas. Over the last few years my interest in prefab construction has led me to an interest in RVs and then to an interest in the idea of vehicles designed from the ground up to be as permanent a residence as any stationary home. It sounds a little nuts, I know, but I've been very interested in the idea as to whether or not living in a mobile residence can be regarded as dignified as living in a stationary home. My wife and I own two homes now but I remember living perfectly well in rooms smaller than the back of a box truck or even some vans when I first began going to college. Here are some links you may or may not have seen that really get the wheels turning in my head. They don't relate directly with Astro Vans but the functionality confined into small space as well as the use of natural materials inspired me to try some things with my van. My concept will be to make a comfortable, well finished living space embracing newer technology in terms of appliances and weight reduction. My wife has been a good sport about listening to my crazy ideas and giving me a bit of room to see where they go. So the links...

http://www.dexigner.com/design_news/6249.html

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/look/smallest-coolest-house-on-wheels-martin-housetogo-043403

http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built/gerry-shaws-epu/

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/xs-house/

A few questions for anyone who might know:

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a side pop out on a van?

I'm about to go through the suspension forums...but does any one have any ideas about maximizing the comfort and handling on one of these early Astro Vans? I have only ever had Hondas and Toyotas... I can drive my '96 Rav 4 like I'm in a rally race and it handles beautifully. That being said, I've never had a vehicle with leaf springs...am I crazy to think that it can feel tight and balanced?

Does anyone know of any good technical books about modifying Astro vans or any magazines that are van centric ( not necessarily MiniTruckin')

I know this was a pretty long-winded greeting but thanks for taking the time to look it over.
:: '87 4.3 5spd Astro ::

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: New to the van scene...

Post by 1Gary »

The term you are looking for in RV circles is "fultimer".That means some who lives full time in their rigs and move about the country.
A good site to look at for RV's is:

www.iRV2.com

There you could find some tips on appliances,etc.

There are any number of mods you can do to the rear springs and suspension on a Astro/Safari.With yours you have fiberglass springs and the update would be steel springs from a later model Astro.Sway bars front upgrades and rear add-on are amongst some of them with of course upgraded shocks.Doing a search here is going to give you some in site as to what you can do.

Also there is a member here(T-Low) that had a pop up top put on his van which is very sweet.

There is a company named Provans that used to build a pop up camper and hard top RV based on Astro's.The model name for that was Tiger.That company doesn't build them anymore and they are more found used on the west coast because that is where they where built at one time.The hard top RV's where 16'ers.If you search here,you'll see some info on that as well.

Hope you enjoy your stay,ask questions as you need to,pictures are always welcome.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

plenty of info and knowledgeable members here (i wouldn't be one of them in regards to the info you're looking for) .. welcome to the site though :D
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Tight handling?

I'd try Bilstein shocks, poly sway bar hardware and add a rear sway bar, 16" or larger wheels, and the steering box used on the RS or FE3 package (I could have that mixed up) vans.

Also, make sure all of the steering components are in good shape, maybe consider a rack and pinion swap.

Welcome to the board! I envy your 5 speed van; I've always wanted one.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I second the Bilstiens and adding a rear sway bar. I have a belltech rear bar I retrofitted which works fine, but I recommend a hellwig. it resides above the axle vs. my belltech which hangs below. My '89 didn't have a rear bar, the addition made a huge difference in handling.
You can upgrade the front sway bar as well, but I have some advice which heretofore I have not posted with regard to the front bar. More is not always better. I installed a 1 3/8" diameter front bar that was stiff as can be. It made the van handle like a dream. It also flexed the unibody and cracked my windshield and thereafter broke the front right swaybar bracket, which made for an exciting few seconds.

oh, and Welcome to the site!
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
capulet_x
I am smitten with my van

Post by capulet_x »

1Gary, crash, rlsllc, kings-x59...
I want to thank all of you for your input. Please pardon my delayed response. I have been overwhelmed with class work as well as tinkering on the van. I don't know if you guys can assist me with some additional questions I have come across. I am going to post a duplicate in Technical Information area as well. I've tried two pictures but apparently it is not allowed and so I will provide a link:

http://d2m.us/DigitalDropBox/pics.jpg

One shows a "connector to nowhere" I have no idea what it should be attached to and was wondering if someone had an idea. The other picture is a scan of the distributor schematic. On my van the previous owner crossed the two highlighted connectors and everything worked fine when I switched the two to match the diagram the injectors would not fire. Maybe this isn't a real problem but I like to understand why things are not functioning as expected. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I "think" that the connector to nowhere will run the fuel pump if you connect 12V+ to it. It's like a test wire, IIRC.

The other deal, switching the wires, I have no clue. I'll look at it and think about it, but don't get your hopes up.