Seat heaters

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
strange
I am merely driving my van

Seat heaters

Post by strange »

One item that has always been on my wish list for the Safari is heated seats. Boy, is that a wonderful option! A few friends have cars with this and in the winter time, it's absolutely amazing! Anyway, I see that Jegs has a product called "Warmseats", which appears to be a couple of thin flexible panels that you install between the seat cover and the seat foam. At 3 amps it would have a pretty good output...

Has anyone ever done this modification? There is nothing better than getting a heads-up from someone who has been there before...

Much thanks,

Michael

2000 Safari @ 310,000km
2000 AWD Safari - 300,000km on the clock...

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Re: Seat heaters

Post by v8famvan »

I have installed this option on numerous types of vehicles & have found it to be a relatively easy kit to install. Of course the difficulty of install will vary with the different type of seat but the Safari/Astro vans are a fairly basic design. A required tool is a 'hog ring' plier & new hog rings to reattach the cover to the frame after reassembly.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
strange

Post by strange »

James - do you know of any Astro/Safari specific instructions as to how to disassemble and then reassemble a seat? I'm ok with the electrics for the heater, but I have never done any fabric work before... I'd hate to have to start driving my van with a "foam-only" seat because I couldn't get it back together!

Or would I be better off finding a good shop to help with this?

I've never heard of "hog ring pliers" nor "hog rings", but if it will help me get a heated drivers seat, I'm willing to learn!

Thanks!

Michael

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Really the only special tools required are the hog ring pliers & rings. The actual reassembly is pretty straight forward & simple after doing the disassembly. Just note the location of the hog rings for reassembly.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Here's a pix of hog rings & pliers:

Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Rotor

Post by Rotor »

I have always been able to get hog rings for free from the upholstery shops in my area, as long as its only a hand full(more then enough to do all the seats. You can also use normal ol' pliers if you don't have access to hog ring pliers.

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
strange

Post by strange »

Well, I think I like the site/company that unrreal has suggested, so I made an order. It will probably take me a little while to get this done, but I'll do my best to give a report on how it all goes. Then again, I might need to post some questions if I get stuck!

Thanks to all...

Michael