I sleep in my van

Re: 1999 Safari

Post by rlsllc »

Van on stands

Subframe cleared of old drivetrain

Donor harness

Safari Harness, and yes it is as long as the van

Injector wires and v8 connector

Safari harness opened up, injector wires too short, and just be joined to the originals to be long enough, plus add into the #7 & #8 wires

Western Union twist, this will be soldered and shrinked, kudos to LS1 AWD (Neil) for this tip years ago

Injector wires

soldering tools

AWD v8 oil pan

Not the same frame, but this is a before pic

Frame mod for right exhaust manifold

Crank pulley and sway bar

Oil pan 1/4" clearance ](*,)

Race car black 4L60E, all new clutches and plates, Corvette servo, Transgo plate, beast hub (or something like that), new converter and flexplate, etc. I don't know why the rebuilder painted it black. It was a GM rebuild with 80K or so on it, but is all new now.

More clearance, my manifolds are from a 1999 Savana, not the best fit.

CS144 alternator

Right down pipe

turned, shortened, and ready to weld, which didn't look real nice so no pics, lol

rubberdown
I get chills without my van.

Re: Just some misc pictures of Astros

Post by rubberdown »

Spotted this gem of an idea in Cody at a motel... Room Service!

---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

You've been busy Roy, keep up the good work... and pics :supz:

Cool van for room service.

JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

Post by JaxSPL »

May I suggest looking into an AD244 alternator from a tahoe or surburban. You'll get more out of the alternator than the CS144 will do and should be a direct drop in.

Other than that, I love this build.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Thanks for the tip, Jax. I'm only using the alt 'cause I have it. If it doesn't work, I'll put my stock one back on. :cheers:

Here's some off topic pix, I'll post some more of the Safari in a bit...

Father's day present, 2000lb capacity and 31" lifting height transmission jack, cause I ain't getting any younger.

22 year old compressor, has used mobil 1 since almost the begining, was a Christmas present frorm my parents when I was 16.

Torch and welder, welding cart is yard friendly

Tool box, also yard friendly

Good Steelcase chair and glossy easy clean water cup. Welcome additions to the tool inventory.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

The back of the 4.3, the oil pan bolted to the trans. Of course, the new engine, having a steel pan, does not, so...

Make a cardboard template, and cut a cover out of a old homemade road sign that "showed up" here mysteriously about 1992.

Like a glove, and yes, the sign had a Jeg's sticker on it, and I didn't paint it cause I test fitted it, and it fit first time, and it was no fun to get past the tranny lines. It's aluminum, so it won't rust anyway. No one but me will ever see it anyhow.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Assembly is reverse of disassembly, well kind of.

Towed the subframe back to the van, it is up on the scary stands.

lined up, ready to lift and remove stands. I unblock the rear wheels so the van can creep, the cherry picker doesn't like to roll loaded on my rough old slab.

I hate this part, scary high

Back on all four, now the fun part...

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Scott was right, 1 5/8" between the holes on a small piece of steel for the oil filler, although you can't really see it in this pic...

Long dipstick. I'm not sure if this is going to work or not, but I like it. Scott was right on this one too, lol, but I'm going to try it, just cause it looks kewl.

Oil primer in place, just to be safe. Right after this I broke the heater valve and had enough of the blaring sun, so I called it a day.

:dunce:

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Damn your a busy guy Roy! I'm lovin the pics... congrats on the nice Father's Day gift as well :cheers:

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

=D> =D> Thanks for the shots.
Always love to see how folks use different means to move stuff around....wagons :guitar:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

1Gary wrote:Yepper I am interested in those doors.We'll have to workout the details.I'll PM you later next wk after I am done with the LT.
which kind of doors you looking for, I have a few... basically anything but the slider.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Moreforles wrote:
1Gary wrote:Yepper I am interested in those doors.We'll have to workout the details.I'll PM you later next wk after I am done with the LT.
which kind of doors you looking for, I have a few... basically anything but the slider.....
I have a set of rear doors with no windows that are almost rust free, Gary is planning to come get them sometime....

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Looking good.. What intake is that? Looks like it will work better than the Astro one.

Also, be careful if you bend the clip on the tranny tube to attach it to a bracket. The tube is as thin as a sardine can, and will rip a hole in it. And you wont know it. And you'll get fluid all over, but you wont know until you have it all in. Dont ask how I know!

Scott

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

The intake came with the engine, so I assume it is from the 1999 3500 Savana. I need a 3.5" band clamp about 1.5" wide to connect the air box and MAF. It's gonna be tight, but looks like it might work. If not, it's open element oval and hide it in a hollowed out air box.

Thanks for the tip on the tube, I'll be careful!

I didn't get any van time yet, I helped my brother in law with his Integra, we put NSX calipers with '96 prelude rotors that I redrilled the lug holes to fit on the front, pruned the ABS and A/C, ran all new brake lines and new stock rear brakes. This took Friday and Sat, and then I had to rescue my 1994 from another torsion bar eating monster attack. This took up a great deal of Sunday. 41" torsion bars suck.

:cheers:

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

That looks good, I'll have to head to the local junkyard and have a look. Is that the express MAF too? Or the Astro one. Reason I ask as the Express Maf (at least for 2002) is 3.5", I think astro is 3.25".

Any pics on the intake part would be appreciated. I am just about at that point. Hows your fan shroud coming? I have some more pics of that, but the camera is out in the garage right now! I'll get em up for you if they will help.

Scott