part swapping

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
jeremydbf
I am merely driving my van

part swapping

Post by jeremydbf »

hey guys, newbie here.
I got afew questions for you guys. I have a 95 safari awd and I'm looking to buy a parts van for it, I found a 94 safari. Is everything on that can't be swapped out? what about it not being awd? can the sub frame be swapped out? thanx

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: part swapping

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If the 8th digit of the VIN is the same, the fuel injection systems are the same. Should be a W or Z. The transmissions are different and are not interchangeable and the subframes are totally different as well.

Basically you will have swappable body parts and interior parts plus the rear axle will work.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
jeremydbf

Post by jeremydbf »

what about a 96 astro rwd? can the rwd be converted to awd?

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

A few more details would help here, what are you wanting to accomplish?

There are some differences structurally, but all of the subframes will interchange for the most part, the steering shafts, etc, usually need to stay with the subframe. If your 95 AWD has steel leafs on the back, and the shorter (35") front torsion bars, it is the same as the newer (96-05) vans. You can put it under any year you want, but the wiring and engine need to match unless you are a master at harness work.

The wiring is way different on the 96 and newer vans, as are the drivetrains. There are difference between CPI and TBI (W and Z) equipped vans.

Again, please list what your reasoning is for the swap or project, I'm sure we can help you out.

Topic author
jeremydbf

Post by jeremydbf »

i have alot of miles on my engine and i'm just thinking that it would just be easier if i just found another van that had rear end damage to just swap the whole sub frame and all. mine has the compisite leaf springs, or if anything goes on it then i can just go to the wrecker and pick up what i need

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but you have an early AWD 1995 (early meaning composite rear springs and most likely the 41" torsion bars rather than the steel leafs and 35" bars the late 1995s have), and you want to find a low miles AWD van to just swap the entire subframe into your van.

One problem right away is that 1995 vans have a different transmission than any other year, so for it to work you'll have to find a 1995 to use as a donor. If you want to stay AWD, it will have to be an AWD donor also, the parts do not swap over to a RWD subframe, they are totally different. RWD and AWD transmissions are different also.

I'm fairly sure that all 1995 vans used the same "W" code 4.3 that was used from 1992 or 1993 until 1995. The 1996 and newer are different. I 'think' you can swap the CPI on to a TBI engine by changing the intake, but I've never tried it.

I think I'd look for a good deal on an engine, and just replace that when it goes. You can have your origiunal trans rebuilt if it fails, or do them both at the same time.

I like your plan, and if you look long and hard, I'm sure you'll find a nice donor, but don't wait until your van blows, you can never find thing right when you need them.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:If the 8th digit of the VIN is the same, the fuel injection systems are the same. Should be a W or Z. The transmissions are different and are not interchangeable and the subframes are totally different as well.

Basically you will have swappable body parts and interior parts plus the rear axle will work.
Dean has the most simplified answer. If the 94 is a W vin, you can swap motors. The front end, including the subframe, is different. You can't even use the fenders, etc. The cab back is totally interchangeable. Unless of course the 94 is a shorty.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
jeremydbf

Post by jeremydbf »

well thanks for the info. that will help alot

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

I'm a bit confused...You have a lot of miles so you're thinking of replacing the front subframe? That's not really an assembly that wears out. Has there been some kind of crash damage to the subframe?

I just did a 2 inch lift on my 89 with 289,000 miles. Before the lift I was searching for replacement rubber bushings in case the OEM bushings had worn. Once I got it apart, I found the bushings appeared in perfect condition. Could still read the imprinted numbers, casting flash and seams were still intact etc. Apparently those donuts are made to take a lot of stress (like an Astro Van sitting on top of them for 20 yrs) and not break.

If the rubber donuts are that tough, surely the steel subframe components are fine.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyMusic.com

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:If the 8th digit of the VIN is the same, the fuel injection systems are the same. Should be a W or Z. The transmissions are different and are not interchangeable and the subframes are totally different as well.

and running boards (even shorties have the same wheel base, just the rear frame and quarter panels were extended)
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)