Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by potskie »

Rileysowner wrote:I have the same tube on my Safari. So is it just us poor Canadians or is this normal for Safari vans?
On my 98 that tube isnt there the line runs down to the condenser mounted pretty much below the rad behind the bumper.

if you need a hand PM me I should be able to give you a hand. I even have spare parts from when I installed mine lol
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

My 1999 AWD does not have that line.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

potskie wrote:
Rileysowner wrote:I have the same tube on my Safari. So is it just us poor Canadians or is this normal for Safari vans?
On my 98 that tube isnt there the line runs down to the condenser mounted pretty much below the rad behind the bumper.

if you need a hand PM me I should be able to give you a hand. I even have spare parts from when I installed mine lol
I will be doing rear brakes this week. Hopefully it is just the brakes not something more. I hope to get to the various trans stuff the week after, that would be the cooler, gauge, and seal at the back of the trans where the drive shaft connects up.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

I want to install a trans cooler. My existing radiator has a full width A/C cooler in front of the radiator. Are there problems having THREE coolers in a row in the stack? (radiator + A/C + Trans).

Lumpy

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I have not heard of anyone running hotter with a trans cooler in front. As long as your engine clutch fan is working properly you won't see any difference in engine temps.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Philly758
I get chills without my van.

Post by Philly758 »

I've got my tranny cooler mounted... Removing the grill was very easy once I found the correct tool. All I need to do tonight is run the hoses, check for leaks and top off the trans fluid. Let me know what you think, picture below.

And the reason I stopped here, besides being late... I am having A LOT of trouble getting the upper return line unscrewed from the radiator. I'm afraid I am going to break something if I try any harder. Should I just hit it with PB blaster and give it a minute? Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I think I mounted it a tad too high... Worth re-working? Or should I be fine?
2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looks good so far. If the grill fits I would leave it.

As for the fitting in the radiator, hit it with PB Blaster and slowly work it back and forth. Be sure to hold the big nut on the radiator tank to keep it from turning and breaking. If you want to make more room, pull back the plastic clip cover and remove the small wire clip under it as in the following pic. You can then pull the line out of the fitting. It is O-ring sealed. You can then get a box end wrench on it so you don't round off the nut.

Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Philly758

Post by Philly758 »

EDIT...

Got the grill to mount with some utility knife triming to the back... Is this normal? Does everyone elses grill clear the cooler no problem?

So now how much ATF should be added. I think I read somewhere about a quart.

PS. I am not a mechanic at all, the most I had done before this was replace an air filter and windshield wipers...

Photos:

2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Drive around a bit so the fluid heats and goes through the cooler, then check your level and top up. The only annoyance is adding fluid in the dip stick tube, you need to wait a while for it all to go in to check the level again or you have the residue all over the dip stick.
Jim

Philly758

Post by Philly758 »

Rileysowner wrote:Drive around a bit so the fluid heats and goes through the cooler, then check your level and top up. The only annoyance is adding fluid in the dip stick tube, you need to wait a while for it all to go in to check the level again or you have the residue all over the dip stick.
Haha yeaaaaaah thats my problem exactly... I can't read it since the entire thing is wet.
2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Philly758 wrote:
Rileysowner wrote:Drive around a bit so the fluid heats and goes through the cooler, then check your level and top up. The only annoyance is adding fluid in the dip stick tube, you need to wait a while for it all to go in to check the level again or you have the residue all over the dip stick.
Haha yeaaaaaah thats my problem exactly... I can't read it since the entire thing is wet.
It just takes time for it all to run down. Be patient.
Jim

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Did you fit a trans temp guage?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Philly758

Post by Philly758 »

SoCalli V8 wrote:Did you fit a trans temp guage?
No... I would like to put one in eventually, but didn't have the time or funds right now. Knowing I have the trans cooler is good enough for me since the trip was going to happen with or without it. In the end its not a burly trailer, just a 6'x10' enclosed Haulmark loaded with about 8 mountain bikes and camping gear for 4.
2000 GMC Safari SLE AWD

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

Philly758 wrote:

Nice job on the recycled water bottle/tubing funnel :supz:

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

http://www.LumpyMusic.com

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Philly758 wrote:EDIT...

Got the grill to mount with some utility knife triming to the back... Is this normal? Does everyone elses grill clear the cooler no problem?
No idea if it is normal, but I will have to do some on my Safari's grill. I though I had just enough space, but I don't, and I have the stupid tube from the AC running across the front of my van (mentioned above) or I could get it to fit. As it is, to fit it will take some grill trimming.

Edit:

Thanks to the dremmel, all it well and everything it installed except the trans temp gauge. I think I will need some more wire to get that done.
Jim