where to post a question???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
speedy
I am merely driving my van

where to post a question???

Post by speedy »

Couldn't find a topic to post about an issue I am having with Safari van. Wanna see if someone knows what to do or send me in the right direction.

SS

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: where to post a question???

Post by CaptSquid »

It would help if you gave us a hint about your issue.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Depends what the issue is, so just ask it here...and if we need to move it into a more suitable forum then we will.

Topic author
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thanks. Kept looking for some topic similar to other forums, but nothing caught my eye.
Having vibration problems with the Safari. NO CHECK ENGINE light. Just a in park, or stopped. Started like all of a sudden shortly after install of new belt. AC on or off makes no difference. Had alternator checked a while back to just see how it was holding up and they said it was getting weak and probably should changed out.
The van is a '93 with 136,000+ miles on it. Just wanted some ideas before I started replacing plugs, wires, egr, vaccuum lines etc.

Thanks again,
SS

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Since the belt was just replaced, that might be a clue. Was a new tensioner installed? I'd start by checking the new belt for defects and if the tensioner wasn't replaced, I'd replace it. (Having one fail can leave you stranded - mine failed long before 100K miles.) Hopefully you have the old belt as a spare, (tensioner too if it was replaced), and you could try swapping one or both back.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
speedy

Post by speedy »

Never ever heard of replacing tensioner at the same time, But I will. I will also reinstall the old belt to see if it is the belt. Thanks

SS

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Could be motor mounts. When the rubber fails, they will transmit vibration and it will be most noticable when idling in gear. My 1993 "W" motored van had this issue and it would rattle everything on the dash at red lights.

Topic author
speedy

Post by speedy »

rlsllc wrote:Could be motor mounts. When the rubber fails, they will transmit vibration and it will be most noticable when idling in gear. My 1993 "W" motored van had this issue and it would rattle everything on the dash at red lights.
Oh great. Was gonna ask about how to pull the tensioner off and saw this post. Y'all please standby cause I am gonna need some help with that one I am sure.
I put the old belt back on and still a similar vibration. I wouldn't of thought a Gates belt would be bad. But I know it can happen. Looked at the tensioner and not sure even with the manual how to replace it. Is the tensioner that gets replaced the actual portion that the belt rides on? Or is it the cast aluminum part it is attached to that has load and an arrow in it?

Thanks

'93 Safari
'06 Taurus SEL
'99 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (81,000 miles she ain't no trailer sissy)
'08 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (20,000 miles)
'63 Lone Star Skipper 16ft aluminum v hull with a '61 40 HP Evinrude
CMA and PGR
USAF '69-'73

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I think if I was in this circumstance I'd chill a bit. If the spring in the tensioner was bad, the belt would be slipping. If the pulley was wobbling the vibration would be small and the belt would probably squeek. Unless the belt has an unbelievably huge malformed section in it, it is not going to produce a vibration you could feel. Problems in older vans have a way of manifesting in twos and threes. My gut is saying you have an idle problem. first place I'd look is at the EGR valve, to make sure there isn't a chunk of carbon that has stuck the pintle.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

speedy wrote:Or is it the cast aluminum part it is attached to that has load and an arrow in it?
You got it.

Tensioner= 1 bolt, really easy. It is do-able but sucks with the shroud on the van, but is cake with the top section of the shroud (7 or 8 10mm bolts) removed. I pull the shroud for almost every front-of-the-van under hood repair. It takes less than 10 minutes and saves me tons of swearing.

Edit: I agree with Kings-X post, check that stuff out before changing any other parts. Always try to diagnose (sp??) before changing parts.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Roy makes a good point on the worn motor mounts. Slide under the van and check them out. At one point my Safari motor mounts were worn so bad that the upper part was riding on the frame. The vibration was terrible. I replaced them with aftermarket mounts and it was a bit better but the aftermarket rubber was so stiff there was still a noticable vibration. Soon after that I replaced them with factory mounts and the vibration was gone.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

+1 for motor mounts.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thanks for the help. I am climbing under there before it heats up outside.
Thanks again, SS