Sticking Brake Pads

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
Ericglo
I am merely driving my van

Sticking Brake Pads

Post by Ericglo »

I have had a problem with my brakes ever since I bought this '02 Safari RWD. I finally got around to getting underneath the van to see if I had a leak and sure enough I did. It was the right front brake hose. There was a leak coming from the connection to the hard line. I tightened it down and bled them. Then came the problem. The rotor hardly moves. Today, I decided to swap out both front calipers and pads. After installing everything, I bled the brakes. I still have the same problem. I was thinking the brake hose, but the left front is also dragging a little. The only things I can think of are up stream. I am not sure what the brake line connects to underneath the driver's door, but could that be a problem? I am going to go get a hose in the morning to eliminate that possibility.
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: Sticking Brake Pads

Post by 6spd_monte »

A problem with the ABS block?
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

I did both brake hoses and it is still dragging.

6spd,
It could be the ABS block or maybe one of the metal lines. I am going to take it to a brake guy tomorrow and see what he says.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

how old are the calipers? sounds like stuck pistons to me.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I think Steve nailed it. :supz: The pistons are sticking in the calipers. Take them apart and rebuild them. Cheap and easy. Flush the system until clean fluid comes out of every bleeder.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

Ummm, no offense guys, but you may want to re-read my original post. There is a possibility that both sets of calipers are bad, but I would have a hard time believing that. I am going to see what the brake guy says.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

None taken. You're right, I completely missed that in your original post. If the master cylinder is good, my next suspect would be the brake lines to the calipers.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

so the inquiring mind wants to know, what did the brake guy say?
strange problem, the solution would be good info for safastro owners

name's Steve

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

Sorry, I have done to much traveling.:)

The brake guy put it on the lift and bled them a couple of times. They seemed to work themselves out. He said they sometimes do that.

I mentioned something about the ABS box and he said that is something that gets expensive. Of course, now I am having a problem with the rear brakes. When I get some time, I am going to replace the shoes and hardware, as well as turn the drums.