Rotors- to turn, or not to turn?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
RougeSafari
I am merely driving my van

Rotors- to turn, or not to turn?

Post by RougeSafari »

Just recently bought a 98 Safari and the previous owner mentioned it may need new rotors. I only feel a little bit of softness/pulsing when coming to a stop. Took a look last night to see how difficult it would be to put on new rotors myself- not that difficult. The rotors look to be in good shape so I'm trying to decide if I should get them turned or buy new ones? Anyone know how thick the rotors need to be to be turned? Trying to same money to go into other modifications to the van.
Thanks for the help and I'm psyched to find such a great resource here on the web.
Cheers-Mike

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: Rotors- to turn, or not to turn?

Post by LaGrasta »

Welcome to the forum, so nice to have you.

A few years back I decided to never turn rotors again. Reason being, once turned they are thinner, therefore will heat easier and warp sooner. I'd rather use the machining money toward brand new rotors. Ironically they sell cheap rotors if you should choose, about $15 each. This is the same cost to turn them.

Swapping them is very easy too, great DIY project. I just replaced mine after 100k of not swapping or turning them. I bought the best they had, $45 each at Autozone.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Welcome!

I'm not a fan of turning. If I need new pads, I just slap them in. If your rotors are warped, and the pulsing is an indicator, then I'd replace them. As stated, it is an easy enough job.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
RougeSafari

Post by RougeSafari »

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll just go and slap on new rotors. I'm assuming if I'm throwing on new rotors I should put new pads on as well? Or can I keep the same ones on?
I know everyone on here likes pics so I'll be sure to get some up soon. Most likely in the camping section as thats what most of the modifications on my beast are!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site. As for your question, it's a toss up. If you are hard on the brakes then by all means go for the new rotors and pads. If you are easy on your brakes then turning the rotors will work fine. While you are at it get the 4X4 pickup disc pads. They are 20% larger and they will fit without any mods.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've done new pads with unturned rotors, but I'm very easy on the brakes, so they tend to stay flat and mirror smooth. If you are going to get new rotors, I'd suggest getting new pads as well so both start out brand new... my 2 cents
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Supersport

Post by Supersport »

Smiliesafari wrote: While you are at it get the 4X4 pickup disc pads. They are 20% larger and they will fit without any mods.
That got my attention! Which pickup.... 1500....S10......

20% larger....20% better
We do three types of jobs around here....GOOD, FAST and CHEAP.........you may choose any TWO!

If it is Good and Cheap.... It will not be Fast
It it is Good and Fast...... It will not be Cheap.
If it is Fast and Cheap.... It will not be Good.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Hey, SS, somewhere on the site I posted all of the part numbers. Do a search. If you can't find them I'll post them again.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Chevrolet Astro Big Brake Upgrade

Front calipers: Cardone rebuilds. Part numbers: 184122 & 184123.
These calipers are used on about a dozen different Chevrolet trucks, years 79 - 86.

Front disc pads: Wagner. Part number: SX 153
Brake hoses and rotors will still be the stock hoses for your application.

Rear brakes: Junk yard
Backing plates and all related hardware from the mid 90's full size cars. Not all full size cars have the 11x2 brakes so take a tape measure. A couple of cars to look at would be the Chev Caprice sedan and station wagon. Police and taxi versions and Buick Roadmasters. You might even go back to the 80's and look at the big Oldsmobiles.

Rear brake shoes: Wagner. Part number: PAB 462.

Rear wheel cylinders: Wagner. Part number: 51088.
The wheel cylinders have an option of using either 7/8" or 1". It depends on how much weight you cary in your van. The part number for the 1" cylinders is: 51088. Both sides are the same.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box