window motor?

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
daryl1964
I am merely driving my van

window motor?

Post by daryl1964 »

Hi, I have a 1995 safari,my passenger window is no longer working, motor replaced about 1 year ago,took off door panel,pulled plastic connector from rear of motor, hooked up volt meter and it only seems to show voltage when I push the down side of switch nothing on the up,is it the switch or the relay if it is the relay where would that be located and what does it look like? also is there a way to manually put window back up until I get this fixed???? Thanks.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: window motor?

Post by CaptSquid »

Easy solution. All electricity for the passenger side door goes through the DRIVER'S door switch. Check the wires on the DRIVER'S door jam for continuity.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

daryl1964 wrote:Hi, I have a 1995 safari,my passenger window is no longer working, motor replaced about 1 year ago,took off door panel,pulled plastic connector from rear of motor, hooked up volt meter and it only seems to show voltage when I push the down side of switch nothing on the up,is it the switch or the relay if it is the relay where would that be located and what does it look like? also is there a way to manually put window back up until I get this fixed???? Thanks.
Here's the schematic -

If your passenger side switch works in ONE direction only, and the driver's side switch for that side works in BOTH directions, then it's the passenger side switch that is faulty.

If both the passenger and driver side switches (for the passenger window) work in one direction only, then it's BOTH switches that are faulty (not likely).

If the driver side switch does NOT work at all, but the passenger side switch DOES work in one or both directions, then it's the Tan or Dk Blu/Whi wires from the driver side that are broken.

There's only two wires to the motor. To reverse the motor direction, the switch(s) simply reverse polarity. So if it works in ONE direction, you know the wiring is intact. Otherwise it wouldn't work in the other direction. ie if the TAN wire was open (failed) the driver side remote switch would not work in either direction. We know the PINK wire is intact because your passenger side switch works in at least one direction.

Replacement switch at Autozone - $20something. Chinese, Fails in about a year.
Replacement switch at NAPA - $30something. Mexican, Doesn't fail, guaranteed for life.

Obviously wire insulation colors may vary.

To manually raise the window, apply + and - 12v to the motor terminals. If the window
goes DOWN, reverse your + and - to make it go UP.

Lump

Topic author
daryl1964

Post by daryl1964 »

Wow Thanks Guys, Great Info. I reversed pins on black plastic plug that goes to motor and was able to get window to go up,tryed new switches on both sides same result, so it is probably that tan wire must have a short of sorts. Thanks again for your time.

clarkperez2334

Post by clarkperez2334 »

Great to hear it works fine now :)
Your problem was maybe because of a bad window motor, if it is just the one window that doesn't work. But if at the same time, the problem is with all your windows, then probably it is a bad window switch or a power supply problem.

khale

Post by khale »

clarkperez2334:
Great to hear it works fine now :)
Your problem was maybe because of a bad window motor, if it is just the one window that doesn't work. But if at the same time, the problem is with all your windows, then probably it is a bad window switch or a power supply problem.
Correct! I had that problem with all my windows not working, I thought i had a bad window motor but my mechanic told me that it was my window switch and not the motor.