Awwwww,damm it!!!!!.

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Awwwww,damm it!!!!!.

Post by 1Gary »

So I get ready to go to work this morning and am going to drive Ole Yellar.I go out to the van to find some *#@@@@ seems to have tossed a beer bottle as they passed by and broke the driver's side window.Being that I want to convert to power windows and I am not ready to do that now,it is a total waste of work and money,but I got fix it.

So I need to know what tools I need to take to the junk yard to get a replacement???.What yrs fit my 1985 Astro??.I am guessing I have to cut off the rivets that hold the regulator to drop the channel down to get the rollers off.But I need some advise on "how To" on this job.

Please,Please,and Thank You.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: Awwwww,damm it!!!!!.

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Gary,

Here's most of the steps for you.

http://my.hamilton.net/~notdadsw41/astro_window.htm
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Thanks for that.I am not ready to convert to power windows right now.I just want to replace the broken window on the current the crank style windows.Chisel,and what else to take to the junk yard???.Is there yrs only that fit my 1985 van??.I wouldn't think so,but between both vans and only two day to get-er-done,I can't afford any mistakes.

Rochester,NY

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

I would think any window should fit Gary. Chisel and hammer or a cordless drill to get the rivets out.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

Windows are the same between power and manual. I don't believe that the regulator attachment changed from year to year. Some of the earlier vans might have a hot melt attachment vs. riveted through the sash. Either way should make no difference. Lower the window about halfway, loosen the glass guide channels, (not sure if there is a rear adjustment or not), Then grab the glass and push it forward and down (at the front). This should disengage the front guide pin from the retainer. When the rear edge of glass clears the belt opening, pull the glass up at a 45 degree angle. The glass will slide off the regulator block, and voila, the glass is out! Installation is the same, only in reverse. As long as you are careful, the block will re-engage if you slide the glass into the door in the same manner as you removed the broken one. Edit: I forgot that someone broke the glass! The replacement glass will go in a lot easier if you install it as described. DON'T drill out the rivets or break loose the hot melt. Just remove the glass from the jy vehicle as a unit. Hope this helps!
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Thanks for the advise.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Ok here is what I got.Went to my garage and got the door panel off and pulled the broken glass channel out.Vac'ed out inside the door of all the broken glass.I'm going to tell ya in advance that I still don't have my computer fixed so I can post pic's.Sorry.So I got a late start and I stopped by a junk yard that is known for GM parts,but normally is expensive.Well they had a window for $50.00.Thought it was hardly worth my time to go to a pick and pull tomorrow.They told me the same thing about angling the window to get it to go on the regulator rollers.I get home and fight the thing for over two hrs.I could get one roller on,but couldn't get the other one.Tried ever angle you could think of.I was missing by just about a inch.I notice in the channel of the window I bought it came with two rollers in the channel.I took off the bottom front guide channel to try to get more of a angle and no dice.Pull the weather stripping to try to get more room and still wouldn't work.Then I realized the reason behind the rollers on the channel in the window I bought.Those roller are popped onto ball sockets on the regulator.I got one roller on and then pry the other roller off.I feed a roller on the channel and popped it back on the ball socket.Bam-both rollers on.Next one (I hope never) that is what I am going to do.Pry both rollers off the ball socket-side the window in and pop both roller back on.Soooooooo,I did do more work than what the job called for.Yepper-that is called a learning curve.

Yeah-some of those junk yard guys are pretty smart.That is why they took off the rollers.That way they could get it out in 15 minutes.Just I was too slow to take the clue they left me.

Rochester,NY